What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

When people call you sweetheart

Julia

Off Topix Regular

I hate it when people have no idea who I am or have never met me before calls me sweetheart.
Its disrespectful in my opinion. And I hate being called that.
I have snapped at someone once who called me that.
And the person who saw me said No need too be rude.
I feel bad. But all the anger from anybody who has called me sweetheart before just came out.

Do you guys like being called sweetheart? Or do you just not care?

Never had that situation. But, for me, I'll only accept those types of name calling from people I trust 100% (I don't intend to 'offend' strangers though). Yeah, but I'll have to see. 2014's making me crazy though.

..or "hun" or "baby" or"darlin" ..I don't want your terms of endearment unless I know you. With that said, I just brush it off.

Depends on who is calling me sweetheart. For example: The other day I noticed an elderly man having difficulties carrying a very heavy bag to his car. I offered to help him. After I put the bag in his car, he said: "Thank you sweetheart. That was very kind of you." Now, how could I possibly get offended at that?

The phrase I hate is "baby girl". I had a boyfriend once that called me that. I found it very annoying to say the least. I am not a "baby girl" I am a grown woman! :mad:

I do get 'hun' from several of the older ladies around here.

But, as I'm a large (6'4", 290 pound / 193 cm, 131 kilo) gray-bearded old man, NOBODY calls me 'sweetheart'.

Nor do I tend to call any female over the age of 5, 'sweetheart'. Instead, I say, 'miss', or 'ma'am' unless requested otherwise.

Nor do I tend to call any female over the age of 5, 'sweetheart'. Instead, I say, 'miss', or 'ma'am' unless requested otherwise.
Yeah what happened to calling people ma'am?
People will call people twice there age sweetheart. That just makes no sense and just disrespectful.
Ma'am would be the better term to use any day.
---
Nebulous I wish I could do that. It gets too me.
---
Jazzy that is also a horrible word too use.
I totally know where you are coming from.

Another one that I can't stand is when someone calls me Sweetie. Yuck, I am NOT your Sweetie. Sounds like something you might say to a child but not to a grown woman.

Jazzy said:
Depends on who is calling me sweetheart. For example: The other day I noticed an elderly man having difficulties carrying a very heavy bag to his car. I offered to help him. After I put the bag in his car, he said: "Thank you sweetheart. That was very kind of you." Now, how could I possibly get offended at that?

The phrase I hate is "baby girl". I had a boyfriend once that called me that. I found it very annoying to say the least. I am not a "baby girl" I am a grown woman! :mad:

you never had an issue with me calling you baby girl...

DrLeftover said:
I do get 'hun' from several of the older ladies around here.

But, as I'm a large (6'4", 290 pound / 193 cm, 131 kilo) gray-bearded old man, NOBODY calls me 'sweetheart'.

haha! @drleftover, you're such a sweetheart... :p

if you don't like being called sweetheart or sweety then never go into the south... :LOL:

a lot of people say "thank you sweetheart" or something like that as a friendly gesture after a kind action...

i never get mad at anyone that calls me sweet or something like that, because it's supposed to be friendly not degrading... :D

if girls don't like being called something nice like sweetheart then don't complain when you get called something that's actually bad like a whore or something like that... :p

I guess it depends on the context in which it being used, but ya I can see it being really a derogatory statement.

i think people are too sensitive and get offended too easily...

+freezy said:

Maybe "creeped out" ....  Which is a natural reaction to unwanted affection.

Nebulous said:
+freezy said:

or perhaps people confuse affection with kindness? :ponder:

+freezy said:
Nebulous said:
+freezy said:

Depends on who's saying what and how they're saying it I suppose. :ponder:

Nebulous said:
+freezy said:
Nebulous said:
+freezy said:

indeed...

but girls do assume all guys are hitting on them when they are just merely being nice... ;)

The thing here is that some people have trusting issues so that's why they act that way forever. Or sometime in the future that trust will grow to an extent and those will understand who's that person.

+freezy said:
Nebulous said:
+freezy said:
Nebulous said:
+freezy said:

indeed...

but girls do assume all guys are hitting on them when they are just merely being nice... ;)

Or they are hitting on them. Lots of guys are sleazy horn dogs.

Nebulous said:
+freezy said:
Nebulous said:
+freezy said:
Nebulous said:
+freezy said:

indeed...

Or they are hitting on them.  Lots of guys are sleazy horn dogs.

even if some or most are guilty, i'm sure not all of them are...

but girls will assume the ones that are just merely being nice of hitting on them...

and then girls don't understand why guys don't talk to them...

Of course all them aren't guilty but I can't blame women for not wanting male attention when its been thrown at them all the time anywhere they go. It must get old after a while.

Nebulous said:
Of course all them aren't guilty but I can't blame women for not wanting male attention when its been thrown at them all the time anywhere they go.  It must get old after a while.

it comes with the territory of being a male animal... :LOL:

Nebulous said:
Of course all them aren't guilty but I can't blame women for not wanting male attention when its been thrown at them all the time anywhere they go.  It must get old after a while.

Not all men can behave 100% manly. Some have behaviour patterns that are similar to what girls do.

and a lot of girls love the attention that guys give them...

+freezy said:

They hate it when they get it and miss it when they don't get it. :LOL:

Nebulous said:
+freezy said:

They hate it when they get it and miss it when they don't get it. :LOL:

that too!

so frickin' true! :LOL:

but, gotta love 'em though... :wub:

Julia said:
I hate it when people have no idea who I am or have never met me before calls me sweetheart.
I feel bad. But all the anger from anybody who has called me sweetheart before just came out.

I can relate. I don't like it when people come off sentimental when we don't know each other. Its different if its a girl I just met and I really like her or if its some one in my family that I don't mind. But other than that, I just brush it off and move on.

I kinda melt when Joseph Morgan(actor) tweets like "Goodnight sweethearts" and stuff on Twitter lol.

But yeah, it depends on the situation and who is saying/said it.

I always call people sweetie or hon. No harm is intended. Could be much worse.

I use other terms of endearment, like, "Whatever you say, dickhead" and "Sure thing, asshole".

I've never much considered if the recipient is offended or not; obviously, for me to say such a thing to them, the "caring what you think about me" ship sailed one or two offensive gestures/statements ago.

:razz:

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom