What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Info Wober.net Domain Acquired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nebulous

Maintenance Man
Administrator
Founder

Hello community,

As most of you are aware, this community originally started out as the Wober Discussion Community and our domain name was wober.net. After the closure the domain eventually expired and was available for other people to purchase. I believe it changed hands a couple times during the 6 years we were offline. It recently expired again and it was put up for auction on Dynadot. As the only bidder I was able to win the auction and snag the domain back for just $14 USD.

This community will still be called Off Topix and offtopix.com will be our primary domain. The domain wober.net will permanently redirect to offtopix.com which will be great because we'll be receiving all the traffic that domain gets (if any). Also just in case any old members out there are trying to find their way back to us and haven't received the email relaunch notices, they can type wober.net into their browser and land here on Off Topix instead.

:grouphug:

$14 for one of the most iconic sites on the 'Net?

Pfft...I woulda' bid $15 dollars! :p

Like my ex wife.
:LOL:
But good that should help with traffic driving and exposure. As well as any link backs the domain actually had
I noticed our amount of "guests" viewing the forum has gone up since I redirected the wober.net domain to here. Probably search engine bots crawling all the links out there from when I used to promote Wober at various places around the internet back in the day.

That's cool. Now only if someone from back in the days would type in the domain. 😝

Congratulations on getting the domain back, especially at such a good price. Any chance we will see the return of that weird little Wober mascot?

I'm glad you are keeping "Off Topix" as the main 'name of the place' since I was not a part of Wober. Just think Off Topix is cooler and a little zany. :D

Congratulations on getting the domain back, especially at such a good price. Any chance we will see the return of that weird little Wober mascot?

I suppose it would be cool to have a mascot but it won't be incorporated into the logo.

I'm glad you are keeping "Off Topix" as the main 'name of the place' since I was not a part of Wober. Just think Off Topix is cooler and a little zany. :D

Glad you like the new name. :dance:

Reactions: Ash
I suppose it would be cool to have a mascot but it won't be incorporated into the logo.

Glad you like the new name. :dance:
Is 'Wober' an acronym?

I was but I have very vague memories of it. I was a junior in high school at the time, so crazy...

I was but I have very vague memories of it. I was a junior in high school at the time, so crazy...
Now we’re all old :p …jk

Thanks for sticking around so long! You joined one week after we opened (in 2009).:hug:

I'm happy to hear you were able to acquire the domain name again.
Wober is extremely brandable. As a past forum designer, I am somewhat surprised you chose not to continue using it.
The only mark I can find in favor of Offtopix, is the use of a .com TLD, over .net.

I've been trying to win one of my old domains back for nearly a decade now.
The cheapest it has ever been is $300... bummer.

I'm happy to hear you were able to acquire the domain name again.
Wober is extremely brandable. As a past forum designer, I am somewhat surprised you chose not to continue using it.
The only mark I can find in favor of Offtopix, is the use of a .com TLD, over .net.

I've been trying to win one of my old domains back for nearly a decade now.
The cheapest it has ever been is $300... bummer.

I was happy to get it back too :dance:

At the time of me resurrecting this forum I did not own or have access to the Wober domain name so I had to come up with something different for the relaunch. Of course I could have registered a similar domain incorporating the word 'Wober' but since were in a new era, 6 years later, I figured it would be a good opportunity to rebrand. Off Topix sounded perfect for a general discussion community. A nice short brandable name that sums up our forum, and the .com was available, which was awesome. Most niche based forums (communities dedicated to a single subject) have one forum titled “Off Topic Discussions” or some variation of that and and since we’re a general discussion community our whole forum is that, hence the name.

Hopefully your old domain will be yours again one day! Hopefully for a cheaper price too. I guess you just have to keep watching and make your move when the time is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom