What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

What did you want to be when you were little?

Randy

Aw, awww!
Thread Creator

What did you want to be when you were little? Why?

Did you end up doing that job?

I always wanted to be a construction worker because I love heavy equipment. I've only worked in retail and the food industry my whole life, though.

I don't remember so much about when I was little, but when I was in the eighth grade, I was determined to be a computer programmer. Today, I'm in customer service, as a front end supervising cashier of a retail/warehouse servicing restaurants.

I don't remember so much about when I was little, but when I was in the eighth grade, I was determined to be a computer programmer. Today, I'm in customer service, as a front end supervising cashier of a retail/warehouse servicing restaurants.
Are you going to go for the job you always wanted at some point?

Probably not in the traditional sense of getting a job and working for somebody else. But I may do some freelance projects where I identify a need that people would actually purchase once in a while.

I see and feel the level of disgust and burn out that many people are facing (at least here in the USA). I personally feel that with the advent of A.I. and the progress of technology, the way of the Greedy Corporation is dying. We have the ability to work pretty much from anywhere today, and with advanced A.I. around the corner, working 40+ hours a week will seem (it is) ridiculous. I think people are going to start working for themselves, and offering solutions that benefit others without the use of abuse and exploitation.

We as a People, I think have become dependent upon an overlord to provide us with a stable income for stable labor, however, within recent decades this system has been skewed to benefit the owners/investors. I think people are going to revert back to a more independent way of life. Learning a skill (or skill set) and then offering this skill set as a Master Worker. I see people becoming more of Independent Contractors, or maybe even forming Guilds of Contractors, much like how a blacksmith, or a tailor worked hundreds of years ago. I think that this will bring people more happiness in general, and end the rat race that we've all been indoctrinated into.

But then again, I may be just a naive and optimistic fool.

I can remember being a toddler and saying that when I grew up I was going to be the Ice Cream Man (the guy that drives around in the ice cream van that plays a little musical jingle and sells it out of the window of his vehicle).

Probably not in the traditional sense of getting a job and working for somebody else. But I may do some freelance projects where I identify a need that people would actually purchase once in a while.

I see and feel the level of disgust and burn out that many people are facing (at least here in the USA). I personally feel that with the advent of A.I. and the progress of technology, the way of the Greedy Corporation is dying. We have the ability to work pretty much from anywhere today, and with advanced A.I. around the corner, working 40+ hours a week will seem (it is) ridiculous. I think people are going to start working for themselves, and offering solutions that benefit others without the use of abuse and exploitation.

We as a People, I think have become dependent upon an overlord to provide us with a stable income for stable labor, however, within recent decades this system has been skewed to benefit the owners/investors. I think people are going to revert back to a more independent way of life. Learning a skill (or skill set) and then offering this skill set as a Master Worker. I see people becoming more of Independent Contractors, or maybe even forming Guilds of Contractors, much like how a blacksmith, or a tailor worked hundreds of years ago. I think that this will bring people more happiness in general, and end the rat race that we've all been indoctrinated into.

But then again, I may be just a naive and optimistic fool.

I work 40 hours a week and I like it. I like having a place to go away from home every day, being at home 24/7 is depressing.

I can remember being a toddler and saying that when I grew up I was going to be the Ice Cream Man (the guy that drives around in the ice cream van that plays a little musical jingle and sells it out of the window of his vehicle).

That would be a cool job :punk:

I wanted to be an endocrinologist, help to cure diabetes and other hormonal issues. I wasn't smart enough for that, though, so...oh well.

One thing I wanted to be was an airline stewardess; now I'm afraid to get on an airplane. :LOL:

Later on I wanted to be a medical examiner (autopsy type). Now I'm too squeamish for that. :LOL:

Had a few, but the biggest when I was a kid was wanting to be a model. Never really did anything about it, just a little girl's dream
Even if I tried, being short and ugly not the best qualities they're looking for:LOL:

Had a few, but the biggest when I was a kid was wanting to be a model. Never really did anything about it, just a little girl's dream
Even if I tried, being short and ugly not the best qualities they're looking for:LOL:

I've seen your picture and ugly or a synonym isn't a word I'd use. However if you were to see a picture of me you'd either be clawing your eyes out or slapping me repeatedly with an octopus.

I've seen your picture and ugly or a synonym isn't a word I'd use.
I used that word in a lighthearted manner because, honestly, for this kind of profession, my appearance isn't what they typically look for. It sort of fits in a way. :p
How people perceive me can vary, as everyone has different opinions. But that wasn't the point it was for modeling
Now, I'm just too old for that 👵:LOL:
However if you were to see a picture of me you'd either be clawing your eyes out or slapping me repeatedly with an octopus.
I see your picture here in the avatar, and no need to slap you with an octopus:p

Last edited:
I used that word in a lighthearted manner because, honestly, for this kind of profession, my appearance isn't what they typically look for. It sort of fits in a way. :p
How people perceive me can vary, as everyone has different opinions. But that wasn't the point it was for modeling
Now, I'm just too old for that 👵:LOL:

I see your picture here in the avatar, and no need to slap you with an octopus:p

Have you seen Sandy? I'm worried I might have scared her away with my merciless teasing and constant disparaging of octopuses :razz:

Have you seen Sandy? I'm worried I might have scared her away with my merciless teasing and constant disparaging of octopuses :razz:
Who is that person :Ddon't know her:unsure:

When I was little I wanted to be a teacher, now I say NO THANKS. I have a couple teacher friends and a cousin who is a teacher, it consumes their entire life. They work all day, stay late and then take work home with them.

An astronaut and figure skater. An astronaut because I love/loved all things involving astronomy. That hasn't changed. After seeing everything involved in becoming an astronaut, I said no thanks. I wanted to be a figure skater after watching all the winter Olympics but of course you have to know how to skate and well I'll leave it at that 🤣

I wanted to be a Youtube star, but now it’s not worth it with all the drama.

Now I work in IT
Good choice. I wish my brother would grow up. For a 28 year old man, he has delusions of grandeur. He's all about wanting to be a big shot actor. While he can't see it, but everyone else can. It's not working out for him. He quit a perfectly good paying job that he had and missed out on good opportunities just pursuing a dead end venture. All he cares about is acting at this run down theater that does plays and his YouTube channel, which has gone no where. It's pretty sad.

An astronaut and figure skater. An astronaut because I love/loved all things involving astronomy. That hasn't changed. After seeing everything involved in becoming an astronaut, I said no thanks. I wanted to be a figure skater after watching all the winter Olympics but of course you have to know how to skate and well I'll leave it at that 🤣

Combine the two, an astronaut figure skater. You can be skating on the moon! :p

I wanted to be a teacher. Didn't happen, but sometimes I help people learn things anyway?

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom