What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Today's vent

Dollhouse

Off Topix Veteran
Elite Member

I hate the fact that I was so depressed. Especially during the time I was studying abroad in 2020-2021. Sure, covid was to blame, but I think my depression also played a big part in my unhappiness during my time there. If I wasn't so depressed, I could've enjoyed more things, I could've had more energy to do some exciting stuff, but I did not really because of that stupid depression and now my time is up. I also hate myself for kind of using my studying abroad as an "escape" and healing for my depression. But no, it only made it so much worse. I could've waited for maybe a year or two before I finally decide to pursue further education. Maybe I could've gotten a much better job. Now I feel like back then every decision I made had something to do with my depression, sadness, and unhappiness. I'm so full of regrets.

depression is a cruel mistress (which can be said for a lot of things in life, but yeah)

once it's got a hold of you it's certainly hard to shake off

I hate the fact that I was so depressed. Especially during the time I was studying abroad in 2020-2021. Sure, covid was to blame, but I think my depression also played a big part in my unhappiness during my time there. If I wasn't so depressed, I could've enjoyed more things, I could've had more energy to do some exciting stuff, but I did not really because of that stupid depression and now my time is up. I also hate myself for kind of using my studying abroad as an "escape" and healing for my depression. But no, it only made it so much worse. I could've waited for maybe a year or two before I finally decide to pursue further education. Maybe I could've gotten a much better job. Now I feel like back then every decision I made had something to do with my depression, sadness, and unhappiness. I'm so full of regrets.

Sorry to hear that you're battling depression. I hope you figure out a way to dig yourself out of that! :hug;

depression is a cruel mistress (which can be said for a lot of things in life, but yeah)

once it's got a hold of you it's certainly hard to shake off

Thats for sure.

I am older now but am yet to experience depression. How do you know you are depressed? What are the symptoms?

Depression symptoms can vary from mild to severe and can include:
  • Feeling sad or having a depressed mood
  • Loss of interest or pleasure in activities once enjoyed
  • Changes in appetite — weight loss or gain unrelated to dieting
  • Trouble sleeping or sleeping too much
  • Loss of energy or increased fatigue
  • Increase in purposeless physical activity (e.g., inability to sit still, pacing, handwringing) or slowed movements or speech (these actions must be severe enough to be observable by others)
  • Feeling worthless or guilty
  • Difficulty thinking, concentrating or making decisions
  • Thoughts of death or suicide

I know exactly how you feel, hon. I'm dysthymic, so I get bouts of extreme depression regularly. Suicidal thoughts abound and are very hard to ward off, and yes, regrets absolutely build as you do more and more to hide it, to cope, to just move through life. I've made terrible life decisions based on depression, but there's not much you can do about them as depression dictates your life far more than you do. If you ever want to chat, my inbox is always open for you :hug:

I know exactly how you feel, hon. I'm dysthymic, so I get bouts of extreme depression regularly. Suicidal thoughts abound and are very hard to ward off, and yes, regrets absolutely build as you do more and more to hide it, to cope, to just move through life. I've made terrible life decisions based on depression, but there's not much you can do about them as depression dictates your life far more than you do. If you ever want to chat, my inbox is always open for you :hug:
:hug:

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom