What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Teaching a dog tricks

Nebulous

Maintenance Man
Administrator
Founder

What tricks have you taught dogs over your life?

Do you have any tips for teaching a dog how to do something?

I have just taught dogs "the basics"; sit, stay, rollover, come, to walk calmly on a leash...not pull or otherwise be obnoxious; hide & seek.
"There is no free lunch." :LOL: ; the dog has to do a few simple tricks before they can dive into their food.
The most enjoyable & successful training tips I have learned have been in "Puppy Kindergarten" where the "clicker method" is taught. Clicker Training
-------
One very helpful tip I learned is about nail trimming, especially if you're going to be taking care of that yourself. When the puppy is in your lap being close & cuddled while watching TV, etc. routinely gently & softly massage the pup's feet (all 4) & toes. Dogs are naturally very protective of their feet & pull their legs & feet away if you hold them. This routine foot-handling accustoms them to relax while people are "messing with" their feet.

I haven't taught my pups any tricks yet.

I haven't taught my pups any tricks yet.
Don't worry
Be happy! ♪♥♫ ▲ ♪♥♫ ▲ ♪♥♫ :D
I reckon that when you feel the need, it'll get done!
===
Seems like so many 'old wives tales', or 'things mama said', have not worked out to be factual. :cautious:
You can, in fact, teach old dogs new tricks! (y) They may be quicker & sharper when they're younger, but I don't think that they ever lose their smarts.

Don't worry
Be happy! ♪♥♫ ▲ ♪♥♫ ▲ ♪♥♫ :D
I reckon that when you feel the need, it'll get done!
===
Seems like so many 'old wives tales', or 'things mama said', have not worked out to be factual. :cautious:
You can, in fact, teach old dogs new tricks! (y) They may be quicker & sharper when they're younger, but I don't think that they ever lose their smarts.

I have potty trained them, taught them to be good walkers, to be off leash and not run away and things like that. :)

I'll get around to other things soon enough.

What tricks have you taught dogs over your life?
*deadpans* Well, I keep trying to teach @Taco to roll over.....oh, wait: this is a dog thread, right?

200.gif

I have potty trained them, taught them to be good walkers, to be off leash and not run away and things like that. :)
Those are all very important things, IMO! And definitely count.

Not a dog, but when my cat was younger, she used to play fetch :D

sit, stay, paw/shake, lay down, dance/spin, also "uppies" but he basically taught me that one because he likes to be held like a baby.
i taught him to ring a bell to go outside, and placed a few buttons near his food and leash area, but the buttons got in the way so i put them in storage and now he basically just pounces on the ground in the general vicinity which honestly works because at least i know what he's asking for.

we are working on roll over, i'd like to teach him that cute "play dead" trick with the finger guns. and when the weather gets warmer we're going to teach him "skate" to balance himself on the skateboard. started last summer but didn't really stick with it.

one command he struggles with is "fetch" - he understands to chase after it, but no clue he's supposed to bring it back. lol the dog literally has ADHD i think

my tips:
- repetition and patience
- learn their biggest motivator and favorite rewards
- break up learning the tricks in small steps, and repeat each step tons of times
- cut up treats in tiny pieces, you can also use foods such as veggies
- watch lots of training videos!

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom