What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Taylor Swift Yet To Endorse A 2024 Presidential Candidate

Webster

Retired Snark Master
Administrator

(The Guardian) Taylor Swift has urged her supporters to head to the polls today in a rare political message on Instagram.

“Today, March 5, is the Presidential Primary in Tennessee and 16 other states and territories,” Swift wrote in an Instagram story. -- I wanted to remind you guys to vote the people who most represent YOU into power. If you haven’t already, make a plan to vote today. Whether you’re in Tennessee or somewhere else in the US, check your polling places and times at vote.org.
Historically, Taylor Swift, who has urged her followers to head to the polls for Super Tuesday, has been cautious about dipping her toes into political discourse.

Her most pointed involvement has included a 2018 plea to fans to vote for Democrats in a Tennessee election, against Republican Marsha Blackburn. Since then, she endorsed Joe Biden in 2020 and even spoke out against then-president Donald Trump that same year.

Outside of these instances, like on Tuesday, Swift has used her platform repeatedly to tell fans to vote. Notably, voter registration soars by the tens of thousands after each of her get-out-the-vote Instagram posts.

It remains unclear if Swift will use her platform this year to do more than tell her fans to vote, but there’s certainly an appetite for her to do so – and an appetite for her to keep quiet.

In a poll conducted by the Guardian earlier this year, one Swift fan said “her stance and/or endorsement is one that I care about as much as my granddaughter does.

I would like to hear her speak out in support of human rights for all, especially women. And to support the asylum-seeking refugees risking their lives to contribute their hard work to the US. That’s what actually makes America great. For me, Taylor Swift’s endorsement holds more influence than any man in DC or in the media. Why wouldn’t her opinion matter to me?

Also this year, there have already been many right-wing conspiracy theories flourishing online that suggest Swift is a covert asset to bolster Biden and that she and her boyfriend, Travis Kelce, are a set-up to bolster Biden; allies of Trump even pledged a “holy war” against Swift if she sides with the Democrats in November.

I'm sorry, but if someone's vote hangs on who a pop singer endorses, the US has bigger problems than, well, who Taylor Swift endorses. She's a singer-songwriter folks, not the f-ing Second Coming. Though when I see some of the crap that's gone down on this tour (e.g. Singapore paying millions to be the exclusive venue in Southeast Asia), you gotta wonder.

Married At First Sight No GIF by Lifetime

I'm sorry, but if someone's vote hangs on who a pop singer endorses, the US has bigger problems than, well, who Taylor Swift endorses. She's a singer-songwriter folks, not the f-ing Second Coming. Though when I see some of the crap that's gone down on this tour (e.g. Singapore paying millions to be the exclusive venue in Southeast Asia), you gotta wonder.

Remember how there was several celebrities who said they'd move out of the country if Bush was elected?

Remember how there was several celebrities who said they'd move out of the country if Bush was elected?
I remember when the Dixie Chicks slammed Bush back in 2003, it ruined their careers and they got cancelled over it.

It's pretty obvious she's going to endorse Biden again. That being said, who really cares?

Why should she endorse one? It's not her job to endorse political candidates: it's her job to make music.

(Of course, if she *wants* to endorse a candidate, then that is her right. But she shouldn't be *expected* to - and if she does, then IMO it'll be worth nothing more than the opinion of any other random non-politician.)

Why should I care who she endorses?

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom