What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Staying Weather Aware During Periods of High Temps & Heat Waves

Webster

Retired Snark Master
Administrator

(The Guardian) The American Red Cross has issued a list of safety measures for the public to take amid the extreme heatwaves spreading across the country.

--Hot cars can be deadly. Never leave children or pets in your vehicle. The inside temperature of the car can quickly reach 120 degrees.
--Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids. Avoid drinks with caffeine or alcohol.
--Check on family, friends and neighbors who do not have air conditioning, who spend much of their time alone or who are more likely to be affected by the heat.
--If you don’t have air conditioning, seek relief from the heat during the warmest part of the day in places like schools, libraries, theaters, malls, etc.
--Avoid extreme temperature changes.
--Wear loose-fitting, lightweight, light-colored clothing. Avoid dark colors because they absorb the sun’s rays.
--Slow down, stay indoors and avoid strenuous exercise during the hottest part of the day.
--Postpone outdoor games and activities.
--Take frequent breaks and use a buddy system when working outdoors.

(The Guardian) With millions of Americans under heat alert advisories in multiple states, here is (Guardian correspondent) Aliya Uteuova’s explainer on the impacts that extreme heat can have on your body: What is heat stress and what causes it?

It occurs when the body experiences a buildup of heat, at a level that is more than what it can release. “The human body has this fantastic ability to cool through sweat evaporation,” said Uwe Reischl, professor in the school of public and population health at Boise State University. But even when the body is producing sweat, the evaporation can be limited due to humidity in the air.

Another factor that causes body temperature to increase is when a person wears clothing that prevents sweat from being released from skin. And when the body doesn’t have enough water, it becomes dehydrated to the point that it isn’t able to produce sweat anymore.

(The Guardian) The American Red Cross has issued a list of safety measures for the public to take amid the extreme heatwaves spreading across the country.

--Hot cars can be deadly. Never leave children or pets in your vehicle. The inside temperature of the car can quickly reach 120 degrees.
--Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids. Avoid drinks with caffeine or alcohol.
--Check on family, friends and neighbors who do not have air conditioning, who spend much of their time alone or who are more likely to be affected by the heat.
--If you don’t have air conditioning, seek relief from the heat during the warmest part of the day in places like schools, libraries, theaters, malls, etc.
--Avoid extreme temperature changes.
--Wear loose-fitting, lightweight, light-colored clothing. Avoid dark colors because they absorb the sun’s rays.
--Slow down, stay indoors and avoid strenuous exercise during the hottest part of the day.
--Postpone outdoor games and activities.
--Take frequent breaks and use a buddy system when working outdoors.

Speaking of which, it's been scorching hot over here in Missouri. It's terrible outside.

Speaking of which, it's been scorching hot over here in Missouri. It's terrible outside.

Just google Missouri weather, looks like were about 10 degrees hotter where I am on average. :hot:

Just google Missouri weather, looks like were about 10 degrees hotter where I am on average. :hot:
It's supposed to be worse this weekend. I can't even mow the lawn right now without the risk of heat stroke.

This time two years ago we were trapped in the heat dome. Pretty sure the highest recorded temperature I saw was 116F. I'm really glad we're not at that point now. I think the highest temperature in the near future is going to be about 93. Still pretty toasty and dangerous.

This is going to sound weird, but when I lived by myself in Brooklyn, one Summer we had a heat index of like 125° one week and my brick building became a brick oven.. and I had no A/C. I didn't really have one until my husband moved in with me which was a few months before we got married.

Usually a normal Summer is bearable I mean in the mornings I would have all the windows open and the window fans pulling in cool air and by the time we reached the after noon I would have the windows on the western side of my building closed as the Sun would be baking that side of the building until sunset.

Once the Sun got to the western side, I would reopen the windows on the eastern side and turn the fans back on.. lather, rinse, and repeat on a daily basis..

But on THAT hot ass week, this did not work, and I had to rely on an old favorite to stay cool.

I would basically take baths and soaks throughout the hot day and alternate between hot and cold baths.. for the hot, I would use Dr. Bronners Peppermint Castile soap, and when I got out, you would think that I had the A/C on full blast.. I was shivering and I had only one foot out the tub.. by the time I partially dried myself, I was BONE DRY and my skin was on FIRE from the heat.. and so, I went back into the tub and took a cold soak.. I would also do this after spending the hotter part of the day asleep and then do this after I woke up and if I had to go out that day, it would only be at night.. I would also schedule or reschedule my early appointments to the evening also because it would be too hot and at night there are less people on the buses and trains and you would feel more of the A/C..

This was how I survived living in a brick oven until I got A/C.. that said, if you do find yourself without an A/C and you need to stay cool, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you take the Dr. Bronner's Peppermint soap approach.. be sure to get the liquid, NOT the bar because the cooling peppermint remains in your pores until you are dry. Make sure that you use a loofah or a pouf and NOT a wash cloth when you do so. The lather is rich and spreads easily and you can misjudge how much you end up using with a rag and could end up wasting it. If you do this, make sure that you take care when washing your face or private areas as the mint might make your eyes water, and as for downstairs, it will feel like Jack Frost paid you a visit and you will be numb and uncomfortable from the cold.. (well actually, if your S/O is around, they can probably help you fix that by warming it up, and the results are awesome too IYKYK..)

Living in Southern Appalachia we have our share of hot and humid periods (we do have heatwaves but not often) and there's a few ways we deal with them...
-Make sure your AC is good and running
-Circulate air; you want things to get hot in a hurry inside? Let the air sit; if its' circulating, its' cooler.
-Stay hydrated: drink plenty of water, Gatorade, Powerade - if you're hydrated, you won't feel as bothered by the heat
-Check on neighbors; we have several older neighbors where I live and I make a point to check on them during the day, see if they need anything
-Go the nearest shopping center and just shop & walk; there's been a few times where I've gone to our local WalMart Supercenter, got a buggy, and just walked around for 15-20 minutes 'cause they keep that place as cold as a witch's :censored:

and as for downstairs, it will feel like Jack Frost paid you a visit
*deadpans* And I thought we Appalachia folk had a monopoly on colorful language... :p *hugs Angel*

Living in Southern Appalachia we have our share of hot and humid periods (we do have heatwaves but not often) and there's a few ways we deal with them...
-Make sure your AC is good and running
-Circulate air; you want things to get hot in a hurry inside? Let the air sit; if its' circulating, its' cooler.
-Stay hydrated: drink plenty of water, Gatorade, Powerade - if you're hydrated, you won't feel as bothered by the heat
-Check on neighbors; we have several older neighbors where I live and I make a point to check on them during the day, see if they need anything
-Go the nearest shopping center and just shop & walk; there's been a few times where I've gone to our local WalMart Supercenter, got a buggy, and just walked around for 15-20 minutes 'cause they keep that place as cold as a witch's :censored:
Yes, honey, no lies told..

That is what we did in VA when my Grandad had a night sermon at church.. the mornings were good but by the time the Sunday school people arrived and the late-morning and afternoon sermons got underway, it was hot as hell there.. so one the days when he had to preach the entire day, we would go to a buffet place for lunch (My Country Kitchen or Old Country Buffet) and then we would go to Walmart to get some sneakers for my feet because my feet were tired of my shoes, kitten heel or not.. lol and the A/C in there was amazing..

It is why my husband and I loved going shopping there late at night because there was less people and more A/C.. and yeah it was something to do on extremely hot days.. by the time we got home it would be sunrise and so it wouldn't take us 2 hours to find parking when we got back home in Brooklyn..

But yeah it gets crazy hot in the South.. I have had the bottoms of my sneakers ruined because the asphalt got soft.. and got stuck.. that has never happened in NY.. only NC and VA..

I mean I am trying be on my best behavior outside of certain areas.. LOL
Me too! :p :hug: *adds, whispered* I save the spiciness for News & Politics!

the mornings were good but by the time the Sunday school people arrived and the late-morning and afternoon sermons got underway, it was hot as hell there..
Girl, you're giving me Sunday morning flashbacks (grew up going to a Methodist church w/a fire-breathing pastor at the helm).... :LOL:
Now I go to an SDA (Seventh-Day Adventist) church and other than we going to church on the Sabbath (a/k/a Saturday) you'd not know the difference.

LOL I know you do.. you were the same way at my place..

And yeah, I completely forgot how unbearable the South is with humidity..

Myrtle Beach in August. OMG this was the WORST humidity ever.. LOL

Orlando in August.

Nassau in August..

All bad.. though at least Nassau had the wind so it wasn't too bad.. but walking around was hard in the humidity.. it was absolutely perfect when we went in February, surprise heavy rain squalls notwithstanding..

I think I am a dry heat kind of person.. I mean my brother and I were in Dallas when it was like 116° outside and we were out walking in the Galleria Mall.. and it was fine.. but just don't park too far away from the mall.. LOL

Girl, you're giving me Sunday morning flashbacks (grew up going to a Methodist church w/a fire-breathing pastor at the helm).... :LOL:
Now I go to an SDA (Seventh-Day Adventist) church and other than we going to church on the Sabbath (a/k/a Saturday) you'd not know the difference.
With Grandma and Grandad the church was basically our third home.. and even during the week.. Grandad was a pastor and Grandma was a missionary.. and we even had church during the week, but at night because it was adult bible school that my Grandmother would occasionally teach.. she would go do so after she got off work.

Myrtle Beach in August. OMG this was the WORST humidity ever.. LOL
No, no, no, that's nothing.
Go visit Birmingham, Montgomery, Jackson, Starkville or Tupelo in the summer. Those places could substitute for one of Dante's circles of hell.

all those cities are below sea level too right?
Nope; they're between 250-600 ft. above sea level.
Heck, New Orleans doesn't get as hot as they do and N'awlins is in a swamp.

This is going to sound weird, but when I lived by myself in Brooklyn, one Summer we had a heat index of like 125° one week and my brick building became a brick oven.. and I had no A/C. I didn't really have one until my husband moved in with me which was a few months before we got married.

Usually a normal Summer is bearable I mean in the mornings I would have all the windows open and the window fans pulling in cool air and by the time we reached the after noon I would have the windows on the western side of my building closed as the Sun would be baking that side of the building until sunset.

Once the Sun got to the western side, I would reopen the windows on the eastern side and turn the fans back on.. lather, rinse, and repeat on a daily basis..

But on THAT hot ass week, this did not work, and I had to rely on an old favorite to stay cool.

I would basically take baths and soaks throughout the hot day and alternate between hot and cold baths.. for the hot, I would use Dr. Bronners Peppermint Castile soap, and when I got out, you would think that I had the A/C on full blast.. I was shivering and I had only one foot out the tub.. by the time I partially dried myself, I was BONE DRY and my skin was on FIRE from the heat.. and so, I went back into the tub and took a cold soak.. I would also do this after spending the hotter part of the day asleep and then do this after I woke up and if I had to go out that day, it would only be at night.. I would also schedule or reschedule my early appointments to the evening also because it would be too hot and at night there are less people on the buses and trains and you would feel more of the A/C..

This was how I survived living in a brick oven until I got A/C.. that said, if you do find yourself without an A/C and you need to stay cool, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you take the Dr. Bronner's Peppermint soap approach.. be sure to get the liquid, NOT the bar because the cooling peppermint remains in your pores until you are dry. Make sure that you use a loofah or a pouf and NOT a wash cloth when you do so. The lather is rich and spreads easily and you can misjudge how much you end up using with a rag and could end up wasting it. If you do this, make sure that you take care when washing your face or private areas as the mint might make your eyes water, and as for downstairs, it will feel like Jack Frost paid you a visit and you will be numb and uncomfortable from the cold.. (well actually, if your S/O is around, they can probably help you fix that by warming it up, and the results are awesome too IYKYK..)

I have a co-worker who lives in a very old building without A/C and she tells me all sorts of methods she goes through to stay cool. She wont move because the rent is cheap. I'll have to tell her about the peppermint soap thingy.

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom