What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Slang

Corleone

Platinum Member
Elite Member
Retired Moderator

What slang do you use in your daily oral language?

In Alabama, we use Yall, Fixin (about to do something), and reckin'. Just a few examples of the most common ones. Share your normal, most common slang.

I use a lot, pretty much most of what I say, I wouldn't write in an English essay. Very colloquial. I have all my random positive exclamations; right, awesome, great, sweet, wicked, etc. I mean you could use these words in your English essay but not in the same context. And not a lot, but I use quite a bit of Aussie slang without knowing it.

We use ya'll and fixin (what Jay said - about to do something). There's a lot of other slang we use here, too.

Hey yall, we're fixing to go to the creek and I rekin if you want, you can come too. lol

But I think we have other slang expressions around here==we 'carry' people to town, instead of 'take' them to town.

Wal-mart has buggies not carts.

Some people have even been known to cut off lights instead of switch them off.

Buggies!! We say that, too.
laugh.gif

On another forum, me and a friend of mine got into a discussion because I said I was going to plug up my laptop instead of saying plug in or something.
laugh.gif
Does that count?

It's a lot different here in Brooklyn, Ny.

People use:

Son- when referring to peers.

n-word- when referring to friends

Imma- when meaning I'm going too

I think they are all disgusting terms

i use all the NYC type urban slang.
laugh.gif
like the ones listed above.

I don't find them offensive or disgusting at all, using those terms just happens to be that way. it funny how things like the N word is illegal I've yet to see anyone get a ticket or thrown in jail for it.

Whatif said:
Son- when referring to peers.

Here when someone calls you son and they are around the same age as you, its a sign of disrespect. But if someone older says it, its ok.

I call people 'fool' all the time.
laugh.gif
I'm not the only one, though.
tongue.gif

Honestly I try not to use any slang. I'm not against it or anything, I just don't use much. I guess working in retail, I try to sound like I know what I'm talking about so I've gotten used to speaking properly.

Dude

Brick

Mad

are probably the 3 that I use the most. Brick would be like it's mad brick out. or cold.

I have however developed a bad habit of saying out loud brb or kk or lol or double lol!. For the lol's, I don't say the letters I sound it out.

My friend gets on my nerves - she always says omg like actually saying oh-emm-gee and it gets on my nerves. I just scream at her oh my gosh will you just shut up!!
laugh.gif
She's my best friend.
rofl.gif

I call everyone hon, sweetie, sugar. I have no idea what anyone's name is at all.
blush.gif
laugh.gif

Yonder .... (Down Yonder) Meaning, away or close by something or somewhere. Mainly used for directions or regions.. Hard to explain, but it is funny when I hear country people say yonder, because it is even too southern for me.

Yonder--I say that all the time.
blush.gif

Pert Near--which means almost

Nigh--which means near

I swear to my name or I swan (which means I can't believe it)

I say 'nigh' sometimes, mostly in a mock dramatic tone.
biggrin.gif
Hmm Aussies have a really weird mix of slang, but I say this all the time and I guess we nicked it off the Brits. 'Cheers.' Like say it in any context. It's such a versatile word.

'Son'...what about for females? The really oldschool Aussies might say sheila but yeah haven't heard that ever in the city. I reckon you'd get more slang further out back, it'd be a bit embarrassing here. Depends if you're in the pub or in the office.

Jughead said:
Yonder .... (Down Yonder) Meaning, away or close by something or somewhere. Mainly used for directions or regions.. Hard to explain, but it is funny when I hear country people say yonder, because it is even too southern for me.

We'll say over yonder or down yonder
laugh.gif

There's something else that I thought of earlier that I just can't think of now...
dontknow.gif
I'll remember sooner or later.

EDIT: I remembered some stuff...but it's not what I thought of earlier.
laugh.gif

fess up - admit

dadgummit - I say it whenever I get frustrated or something

hissy fit - temper tantrum

over in through there - like directions, I guess?

taken to - if you started liking something

coke - any type of soft drink

Well, there's a difference between a hissy fit and a conniption--and you don't throw them--you pitch them.

Bless your heart--that covers a multitude of sins. Bless her little heart, but that was the dumbest thing I've ever heard

And when I get frustrated, it's My Stars or really frustrated is My Stars and Garters

I tend to use 'cheers' a fair bit, but I'm not a big user of slang. I probably use more English slang than Australian slang.

I use mainly North-Eastern Geordie slang like,

Why Aye Man - Yes

Bein - Child

We na - Well no

Ain't - Arn't

Gander - Wander

Me and most of my friends always talks in Scottish slang
laugh.gif
I've never used it in a forum though

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom