What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Self-Service Checkouts

Some people do it on purpose. I remember someone telling me they bought a bunch of t-shirts from there. Picked them up in pairs and scanned the bar code once for every 2 shirts he picked up. Guess he created his own buy one / get one free discount.

Do they ever ask to see his receipt on his way out?

Do they ever ask to see his receipt on his way out?

He said he got away with it, so not that time.

Wal-mart does't check receipts at the door very often anymore. They tried it for a little bit but there was a bunch of fall out and drama over it.

Me being a Costco shopper I am used to it, but Costco can do that because they are a membership based store and you agree to have your receipt checked on your way out when you join.

I love self checkout. Get the stuff I need and get in and out. I haven't seen a lot of people with tons of groceries go to them. They usually go to a cashier. I used to work at self checkout. What an experience that was.

Walmart, Costco and other companies rethink self-checkout
November 14, 2023
The backlash against self-checkout is growing, and stores are starting to dial back on the technology after it exploded over the past few years.

Booths, a British supermarket chain, said it’s removing self-checkout stations in all but two of its 28 stores. In the United States, Walmart, Costco, Wegmans and other chains have also revised their self-checkout strategies. ........................ But now, retailers are rethinking self-checkout. They have found that self-checkout leads to higher merchandise losses from customer errors and intentional shoplifting — known as “shrink” — than human cashiers ringing up customers.

Shrink has been a growing problem for retailers, who have blamed shoplifting for the increase and called for tougher penalties. But retailers’ self-checkout strategies have also contributed to their shrink problems.
-----------------------------------------------

This is GREAT news from my POV.
I have resisted/refused to use self-checkout lines since the beginning of the idea; I see it as a job-elimination movement.

"Please place item in the bag.”
When it is in the damn bag :censored:

November 14, 2023
The backlash against self-checkout is growing, and stores are starting to dial back on the technology after it exploded over the past few years.

Booths, a British supermarket chain, said it’s removing self-checkout stations in all but two of its 28 stores. In the United States, Walmart, Costco, Wegmans and other chains have also revised their self-checkout strategies. ........................ But now, retailers are rethinking self-checkout. They have found that self-checkout leads to higher merchandise losses from customer errors and intentional shoplifting — known as “shrink” — than human cashiers ringing up customers.

Shrink has been a growing problem for retailers, who have blamed shoplifting for the increase and called for tougher penalties. But retailers’ self-checkout strategies have also contributed to their shrink problems.

I have resisted/refused to use self-checkout lines since the beginning of the idea; I see it as a job-elimination movement.
I'm the opposite from you. I love self checkouts. Anything where I can do it myself and avoid people is a win for me.

I'm the opposite from you. I love self checkouts. Anything where I can do it myself and avoid people is a win for me.
Next thing you know McD's will have automated BurgerFlippers! :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

Interaction with a cashier is usually minimal. They just scan your items, ask if you want a bag and tell you the total.

November 14, 2023

Not only eliminates jobs but so much stuff walks out the door. One time a friend was telling me he does a buy one / get one free deal when buying clothes…. Let’s say he’s buying shorts, he gets two pairs the same color and holds them together and scans one of them. From appearances it just looks like he’s scanning one pair of shorts. I told him that’s stealing and he says it doesn’t feel bad because it’s a major corporation with billions of dollars.

Wal-mart does't check receipts at the door very often anymore.

There's a lady at our Wal-Mart that stops us at the door and checks. Almost every time. But the other door greeters never check us.

When I worked in retail, self checkout was a damn nightmare. You would get the people that needed to actually grocery shop and then take their good ol time scanning one item at a time at the register. I can remember one day on a 15 minute break waiting to pay for something, the person in front of me actually let me take their place in line because they saw Id never get my break in on time because of the ignorant people.

When I worked in retail, self checkout was a damn nightmare. You would get the people that needed to actually grocery shop and then take their good ol time scanning one item at a time at the register. I can remember one day on a 15 minute break waiting to pay for something, the person in front of me actually let me take their place in line because they saw Id never get my break in on time because of the ignorant people.
Another issue with self check outs is having an item that an associate has to look at and verify on the machine. The downside with that is waiting 10 to 20 minutes for someone to come along and unlock the self check out so you can get your stuff and go. That was pretty bad when self check outs first became what they are now.

I'd hate to be the person watching the self checkouts.

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom