What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Recent Literature Purchases

Flurry

Crisis Management
Elite Member
Retired Moderator

In this thread, feel free to mention your recent Literature purchases!

Today, I bought Frank Herbert's Dune novel, DC's Brightest Day issue 23: The 4 Elements, DC's Superman vs. Muhammad Ali deluxe edition trade, DC's Brightest Day trade volume 1, and Kick-Ass issue 2 after months of waiting for it to come out.

I got Thud! and Making Money last week.

Thud!? What exactly is that?

A book
tongue.gif

Discworld.

Well I knew that, I just wondered what it was about.

o.0. Oh, so its a regular book?

Well... unless I get sucked in or something... yeah
tongue.gif

icon_lol.gif

I started it today, seems to be about unrest between the dwarfs and trolls where Thud is the name of a board game with trolls and dwarfs and it's the sound a club makes.

I see. Sounds very interesting! A few days ago back when I was at that Parade/Cook Off. I had walked over to the Mall a little while later and bought some old comics that was being sold.

Bishop issue 1. At least I'm guessing its issue 1

Uncle Scrooge 285

Weapon X in the Age of Apocalypse Not sure if this an issue 1 or not

And X-Force 1

I got the recent issue of Ultimate Spider-Man 160. Was a good issue. If a little sad.

Life & Laughing: My Story by Michael McIntyre
biggrin.gif

Pre-ordered Snuff and Lord of Souls a minute ago.

Picked up this little gem today.
happy.png

510544RTYDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

9780007437641.jpg

And

Billy_Connolly_s_Route_66_16.09.2011_2_01_04.jpg

Picked up the first issue of Dynamite's Voltron.

Picked up the Death of Ultimate Spider-Man trade. Fantastic if a bit sad read.

I recently got a Kindle, and it has made it easy to pick up a couple hundred books at a time, I don't really consider the free ones as counting though, so I'll name the one that I most recently paid for. I bought Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay for eleven dollars, I always liked to believe that all of the books were really cheap, but that's not the case. Darkly Dreaming Dexter was the first book of the series which was eventually transformed into the Dexter that we see on Showtime!. You can say whatever you want about the book because personally, I don't think that it was even close to as good as the first season of the show, but if you mock the series than death will be in your future. I've been obsessed with the show since laying my eyes upon it, and it resides happily as my favorite series of all-time. The character is insanely well-portrayed, and whilst, I obviously cannot particularly relate to the desires to kill somebody, I can relate to feeling unorthodox or as an outcast because of my anxiety issues and insecurities.

I bought Hallow Earth on Thursday. Really good read so far!
smile.png

Today I picked up back issues: Excalibur 3 Dream Nails Trilogy Spectacular Double-Sized Issue, Excalibur 82: Phalanx Covenant Life Signs part 3, and Marvel Age 53 Special Summer Fun Issue.

Got City of Dragons not too long ago. It was a late birthday gift (as it wasn't out yet at the time) so I didn't actually buy it myself, but still.

Evil Eye said:
Got City of Dragons not too long ago. It was a late birthday gift (as it wasn't out yet at the time) so I didn't actually buy it myself, but still.

Nice! What's that about?

And thanks to a friend, I received in the mail today the One and Done Anthology.

Well I knew that, but I was going for more of a slightly detailed explanation o.0. But thank ya for the link.

I picked up a bargain of a good deal today for a book called Slap Happy: Pride, Prejudice, and Professional Wrestling by Thomas Hackett.

Oh a thread like this exists, cool

The Original Illustrated Mark Twain. Contains The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, The Prince and the Paper, and some of his short stories.

Icy Sci-berg said:
Well I knew that, but I was going for more of a slightly detailed explanation o.0. But thank ya for the link.
Wouldn't want to give away the story, especially since it's a sequel to a sequel to a sequel to a sequel to a sequel to a sequel to a sequel to a sequel to a sequel to a sequel to a sequel to a sequel.

Rob said:
Oh a thread like this exists, cool
We have threads for just about everything
tongue.png

Indeed on just about everything! And wow, so its quite sequelish like huh? And today, for Free Comic Book Day, I picked up:

I picked up The New 52 #1, Image 20 (1992-2012), Avengers: Age of Ultron, Lady Death: The Beginning, Peanuts, Valiant 2012, Witchblade: Unbalanced Pieces, Atomic Robo, Buffy The Vampire Slayer season 9 which features some tale in space, Spider-Man: Season 1, The Smurfs, Mouse Guard: Labyrinth and Other Stories.

City of the Dead - S.D. Perry

The Bells of Nagasaki - Takashi Nagai

Icy Sci-berg said:
Indeed on just about everything! And wow, so its quite sequelish like huh?
Yeah.

Icy Sci-berg said:
Buffy The Vampire Slayer season 9 which features some tale in space
o_O

Evil Eye said:
How does that even work?

I.... have no idea. I have yet to read it. Lol.

Recently picked up the new first issue and run of Popeye 1 courtesy of IDW. Love the very obvious homage cover they did for it.

Also picked up Marvel's Annihilation Classic. Featuring the early tales of some of their Cosmic characters.

I went to the annual Red Cross Book Fair today and added 27 books to my collection.
smile.png

In no particular order.

Uses and Abuses of Psychology by H.J. Eysenck

Fact and Fiction in Psychology by H.J. Eysenck

Coming of Age in Samoa by Margaret Mead

Social Contract by Locke, Hume and Rousseau (edited by Sir Ernest Barker)

Capitalism and Modern Social Theory: An Analysis of the Writings of Marx, Durkheim and Max Weber by Anthony Giddens

The Third Way: The Renewal of Social Democracy by Anthony Giddens

Anthropological Research: The Structure of Inquiry by Pertti J. Pelto & Gretel H. Pelto

The Republic by Plato (translated by H.D.P. Lee)

Yanomamo: The Fierce People (3rd ed) by Napoleon Chagnon

The Hunting Hypothesis: A Personal Conclusion Concerning the Evolutionary Nature of Man by Robert Ardrey

Human Heredity by Ashley Montagu

Capitalism and Social Progress: The Future of Society in a Global Economy by Phillip Brown and Hugh Lauder

Guns & Rain: Guerrillas & Spirit Mediums in Zimbabwe by David Lan

Culture and Self: Asian and Western Perspectives edited by J. Marsella, George Devos, and Francis L.K. HSU

Ancient Polynesian Society by Irving Goldman

Japan: Culture, Education, and Change in Two Communities

Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell

Fences and Windows: Dispatches from the Front Lines of the Globalization Debate by Naomi Klein

The New Paradigm for the Financial Markets: The Credit Crisis of 2008 and What it means by George Soros

The Whole Woman by Germaine Greer

Studying the Yanomamo by Napoleon Chagnon

Have your Say: Influencing Public Policy in New Zealand by Frances Hughes and Stephanie Calder

The Female Eunuch by Germaine Greer

Boiling Energy: Community Healing Among the Kalahari Kung by Richard Katz

The Idea of Race by Michael Banton

People and the State: An Anthropology of Planned Development by A.F. Robertson

Local Knowledge: Further Essays in Interpretive Anthropology by Clifford Geertz

I am quite pleased with some of these books.
smile.png

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom