What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

New York City’s biggest snow

Olivia

Tell me about it
Thread Creator

Source: https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/11/weather/noreaster-northeast-snow-forecast-monday/index.html

A quick but intense nor’easter could bring the biggest snowfall in more than two years to parts of the Northeast Tuesday, including New York City.

But the forecast is tricky and subject to last-minute changes. With the heaviest snow developing over a narrow area, small shifts in the track will make a big difference in how much snow falls.

The nor’easter – an East Coast storm driven by winds from the northeast – will develop Monday night from the same sprawling system that soaked the Gulf Coast and Southeast over the weekend and Monday.

Widespread heavy snowfall is forecast to set in overnight Monday into Tuesday from Pennsylvania through southern New York and northern New Jersey, where winter storm alerts are in place.

More than 2 inches of snow per hour could fall across the impacted region Monday night and Tuesday morning – coupled with wind gusts as strong as 40 mph, the Weather Prediction Center said.

“Travel could be very difficult to impossible. Patchy blowing snow could significantly reduce visibility. The hazardous conditions will impact the Tuesday morning and evening commute,” the National Weather Service said in an alert.

The heaviest stretch of snow is expected to be quite narrow. Snowfall totals could vary drastically for cities separated by just 20 to 30 miles, and snow may struggle to accumulate at first before finally piling up quickly because of springlike temperatures leading up to the storm.

For New York City, the heaviest snow is forecast to occur just north of the densely populated metro. But a slight shift south in the storm’s track is possible and would mean more snow in the city.

A winter storm warning was issued for the city on Monday afternoon – the first in over two years.

Around 5 to 8 inches are forecast for the New York City area. Even if the city only picks up 2 inches of snow, it’ll be the biggest storm for the city since January 2022.

Thoughts?

I hope that shit blows right out to the Atlantic where it belongs and doesn't even try to bring its cold ass up here..

We just don't need anymore snow.. I say this even though I know our snow season is JUST getting started and we won't be done until April..

5-8" isn't much though.. our winters were pretty bad from 1993 onward. I remember the snow being so high that my Mom and I had to lift my brother over the drifts because it was up to his neck..

Here is a pretty good comparison..

The Manhattan is usually the lucky borough because of all the buildings, but if you go anywhere North, South, East or West and it was way worse. I lived in the Southeast near the ocean so our snow totals were similar to that of Staten Island..

Last edited:
our winters were pretty bad from 1993 onward.
So that's where all the snow went...
Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom