What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Middle East Comic Con In Dubai

Jazzy

Waiting....
Elite Member
Retired Admin

Hijab-wearing superheroes meet scantily clad cosplayers in Dubai, of all places, where girl geeks outnumber the guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPtF4YnDaUw

Source

What do you think?

DrLeftover said:
Yet more proof that the Universe is about to implode due to its own internal contradictions and... ... ... and just plain weird shit.

its proof that people in other countries enjoy comics and whatnot as well. :dontknow:

Nebulous said:
DrLeftover said:
Yet more proof that the Universe is about to implode due to its own internal contradictions and... ... ... and just plain weird shit.

its proof that people in other countries enjoy comics and whatnot as well. :dontknow:

It is also proof that Dubai is just about the only city in the entire Arab Middle East where you could have the event where women could dress like that and have fun as well.

If a woman appeared in public in many of those costumes in the majority of other countries, she could be arrested, or simply killed outright.

Dubai is a modern city that welcomes visitors from around the world. However, as it is also a Muslim city, there are certain factors to take into consideration in terms of dress code and behaviour.

Visitors to Dubai should dress modestly, particularly in conservative areas and public places. Swimwear is acceptable at the beach or around the swimming pool, but visitors should cover up elsewhere. Shorts and T-shirts are suitable attire in many places, although when visiting mosques, religious sites or older parts of the city, both men and women should wear loose-fitting clothes that cover shoulders, arms and legs. Women will usually be required to wear a headscarf when entering mosques.

http://www.dubai.ae/en/Lists/Articles/DispForm.aspx?ID=79&event=Practising%20your%20religion%20in%20Dubai&category=Citizens

Doc,

Yes, you are probably correct, Dubai might be the only city over there where you could get away with this.

But stories like this give me hope.

I have been over to the ME many times, as well as other places around the world. I truly believe that a taxi driver in Dubai has more in common with a taxi driver in Detroit than either one of them have in common with their elected or unelected leaders. And both would be able to coexist just fine with each other.

The problems we see on the news every day over that way come from other sources than the common people themselves (as a "collective" people), instead these problems arise from organized religion and organized politics.

So I like stories like these. The "common folk", if given a fair chance, could change the dynamic over there. And over here...

Remember, "From small things, big things one day come." :)

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom