What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Interview With The Vampire, Season 2 (May 12th)

FallandPray

Who a fan of this series? Who saw Season 1?

To be real honest, I really disliked it. I've been waiting years for a series that would honor what Anne Rice wrote. But we didn't get that. They produced something I really didn't want. I feel like this is the second time they've shit all over Anne Rice's book series. Louis isn't even Louis anymore.

This version of him isn't even the same character as Brad Pitt's Louis Pont du lac who was based off of the character in the book from the 1994 film. This show's version doesn't even go along with the book series at all. It goes in a whole other direction to the point the story is unrecognizable.

The original character, Louis was a white Caucasian French Creole slave owner living in Louisiana in 1791 who lost his wife and child. No, he didn't own a brothel, and it didn't take place in the year 1910. The original Louis was suicidal and grief stricken when he met Lestat outside of a run down bar. Lestat was attracted to him for his wealth and so he could feed on Louis' slaves, because it wouldn't draw attention from the authorities or scare people into going on a witch hunt after him. So he turned Louis into a fledgling puppet vampire and abused him for years. Lestat was an abusive narcissist who just used people for what he could get out of them and then when he was done with them, he killed them. Lestat enjoyed getting a rise out of Louis. He was often annoyed that he couldn't make Louis like him. This scene here from the 94 film heavily reflects that from the first book.

AMC production butchered Louis' character and completely changed him into something unrecognizable. Just like they butchered the Queen of the Damned film by not doing what Anne Rice wanted them to do. They didn't even do the second book, Lestat. They skipped it. In fact, Anne was heavily disappointed with that movie after it was released in 2001. It was a complete dumpster fire and she was very open about it publicly. This show heavily reminds me of Queen of The Damned's failure. In interviews, Anne was very adamant about them sticking to the source material, which again they failed to do. The 1994 film is way way better and if you haven't read the first three books, they are well worth your time.

I didn't even know there was a show on this.

I didn't even know there was a show on this.
What's not in the 94 film or in this show is that it doesn't address that Lestat isn't much older than Louis. Lestat is 6 years older. Lestat's mother was the first vampire he created. But she abandons him soon after. After Lestat's last brother dies, he's forced to step in to take care of his father, who he refused to turn. So after Louis was turned into a vampire, he moved his father in and took care of him until he died. I will say this, Lestat hated his father and his brothers. He's very anti social and a lot of his relationships through out the book series are on and off with other characters.

What's not in the 94 film or in this show is that it doesn't address that Lestat isn't much older than Louis. Lestat is 6 years older. Lestat's mother was the first vampire he created. But she abandons him soon after. After Lestat's last brother dies, he's forced to step in to take care of his father, who he refused to turn. So after Louis was turned into a vampire, he moved his father in and took care of him until he died. I will say this, Lestat hated his father and his brothers. He's very anti social and a lot of his relationships through out the book series are on and off with other characters.

Do you think that is an important thing to include in the movie/show?

Do you think that is an important thing to include in the movie/show?
A lot of it wasn't really touched on until the 2nd book, Lestat. It was only mentioned a few times in Interview With The Vampire. But if they were to do a series that was faithful to the book series, I think it would be important to implement it. It shows why Lestat has control and abandonment issues. It does show that he was human once, with human problems.

A lot of it wasn't really touched on until the 2nd book, Lestat. It was only mentioned a few times in Interview With The Vampire. But if they were to do a series that was faithful to the book series, I think it would be important to implement it. It shows why Lestat has control and abandonment issues. It does show that he was human once, with human problems.

Hmm, maybe they'll do another iteration one day.

Hmm, maybe they'll do another iteration one day.
So far, Tom Cruise nailed Lestat from the books. His version is still the best version. For the reason, this Lestat is more volatile and impatient than Sam Reid's version, which doesn't measure up at all.

5xzh.gif

Yeah that was a good one, I've seen that movie about a billion times.

Yeah that was a good one, I've seen that movie about a billion times.
This scene right here is what is wrong with this show.

Louis in the book had no powers because Lestat made too many vampires. Vampires in the Anne Rice's books can make so many potent vampires before the rest they make are weak fledglings. Their blood loses it's potency with each reproduction. In other words, neither Louis nor Claudia were able to read other vampires or humans thoughts. Yes, they did acknowledge that Claudia hated him. But also, Lestat had no patience what so ever and was quick to anger unlike this new iteration of him.

It's stupid that Claudia and Louis know who Lestat's maker was because Lestat never told Louis in the book who made him. He never wanted to talk about it, especially in the scene in the movie where he yells at Louis across the dinner table. Everything about this show is wrong. Especially the part where Louis and Claudia compare their relationship with Lestat to slavery. Louis chose to stay with Lestat. He had no where else to go and Claudia pushed Lestat into wanting to kill her after what she did to him in the book.

Lestat always left to do what he wanted when he wanted. Claudia was just an evil little shit to begin with who was planning on killing them both for what they did to her. Lestat was automatically blamed for what Louis did. To be honest, she was a monster and Louis was better of without her.

As far as being manipulative, Lestat in the books was basically like a nagging girlfriend who convinced you to stick around with him. He never killed any of the vampires he made in the books either. His other vampires were actually killed off when Louis torched his old theater in Paris. So technically, that was Louis and Armand's fault. Armand wanted Claudia and Lestat out of the way, and he had grown tired of his own coven, so he set them all up to die and killed two birds with one stone.

I probably wont watch the show to be honest. I have too many things I am watching right now.

This show is really good:

I probably wont watch the show to be honest. I have too many things I am watching right now.
Lestat actually came to the theater in the book to beg Louis and Claudia to come back with him because he was afraid that Armand would kill them both, but wasn't shown in the 1994 film. Armand took him in another room, let him feed on a human so he could heal from his burns and then Armand took Lestat to a bridge where he threw him off of it, without Louis' knowledge.

I'm not entirely sure why Armand was obsessed with Louis so much. My only guess is that maybe because he was someone who rejected Lestat, like Lestat rejected Armand. When Lestat first met Armand, he tried to have him killed. So....I can see why Lestat was quick to distance himself from him. Armand is like Tony from Scarface. He put out a hit on Lestat when they first met. He's the type that if you piss him off, he's pretty quick to have you murdered.

It's also noted in the film that Louis wanted to know who made Lestat, and he even asks Armand the same question in the book as he does the film. To which he gets no answer.

@FallandPray, a really good vampire show to watch would be The Strain. It's one of the best vampire shows I've ever watched. I enjoyed it more than Vampire Diaries, The Originals, and HBO's True Blood. Eichorst is a very interesting vampire villain. The actor who portrayed him gave an amazing performance.

@FallandPray, a really good vampire show to watch would be The Strain. It's one of the best vampire shows I've ever watched. I enjoyed it more than Vampire Diaries, The Originals, and HBO's True Blood. Eichorst is a very interesting vampire villain. The actor who portrayed him gave an amazing performance.

LOVE THAT SHOW!!!
I should watch it again.

I have to agree with that the strain is one of the best series :dance:

Interview With The Vampire Season 1 was one of the most beautiful adaptations of a work that has come to television. Following that up is a tall task, but one that the cast of Season 2 lives up to in the premiere episode, “What Can The Damned Really Say To The Damned.” With Lestat (Sam Reid) dead, Louis de Pointe du Lac (Jacob Anderson) and Claudia (Delainey Hayles) have escaped the United States and made it to Europe during World War II in Interview With The Vampire Season 2 Episode 1.

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom