What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Hundreds Taken To Hospital ERs' As Texas Heat Wave Continues

Webster

Retired Snark Master
Administrator

5500.jpg

(The Guardian) Record-setting Texas heat sends hundreds of people to emergency rooms
Record-setting heat in Texas has sent hundreds of people to emergency rooms in recent weeks, according to state health officials.

Temperature records fell across Texas during the last two weeks, putting June 2023 on pace to be the hottest June ever in some parts of the state. From the border city of Del Rio to the capital city, Austin, temperatures hit triple digits for days straight.

Emergency medical providers are responding to heat-related illnesses as extreme temperatures become more frequent and prolonged. On 20 June, at least 350 people visited emergency departments across Texas because of heat illnesses, according to state health officials. That was the highest number of ER visits for heat-related illnesses on any single day in 2022 or 2023 so far. Not all hospitals and clinics are included in the state data, so the total is likely an undercount.

Emergency Medical Services (EMS) in Texas cities also reported high numbers of calls for heat-related illnesses this month. Houston EMS fielded 416 calls related to heat illnesses in the first 23 days of June. Even Texans accustomed to hot weather have been taken aback by the dangerous conditions.

“We are on pace to beat our numbers from last June,” said Austin-Travis county EMS paramedic and spokesperson Christa Stedman. “And that was the hottest June on record.”

I have little sympathy for people who vote in disgusting awful politicians who create problems like this with the power grids. It's sad this has to happen, but that state needs to catch on fire.

I have little sympathy for people who vote in disgusting awful politicians who create problems like this with the power grids. It's sad this has to happen, but that state needs to catch on fire.
*deadpans* That's nice; given the state of certain cities in the Pacific Northwest - *cough* Portland *cough* - its' also rich as hell to say too....

*deadpans* That's nice; given the state of certain cities in the Pacific Northwest - *cough* Portland *cough* - its' also rich as hell to say too....
Portland is certainly not perfect, but we at least try to provide electricity for extreme temperatures for our citizens. Our power crews work hard. Go team!

I don't wish anyone being out in this scorching heat. I'm ready for winter!

Pbs Nature Winter GIF by Nature on PBS

Portland is certainly not perfect, but we at least try to provide electricity for extreme temperatures for our citizens. Our power crews work hard. Go team!
I wasn't referring to the power crews there; I'm sure they do a good job there.

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom