What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Help a friend?

Nebulous

Maintenance Man
Administrator
Founder

Do you help your friends? Is there a limit on what you'd do for them?
What is the wackiest thing you ever did to help a friend?

Help Me Monday GIF by Foo Fighters

I think it depends on who it is and what they need help with. One of the few things I'd be hesitant about to help with is finances.

I have no problem helping them when they got into a car wreck (went to go pick them up, take them to a local car dealership, etc), but I've never loaned $$$ money to friends. Some acquaintances have asked and I've always politely declined

To me, if I consider someone a friend, I'm willing to go above and beyond. A friend should be there through thick and thin, not just during the good times. It's like they say, you truly discover who your real friends are when you're in need of help

I believe helping others is important- but I only help in ways that I feel will not be harmful to me or them. If it's financial, I generally can't help- but if it's editing related, for example, I'm often willing to read/edit something not insanely long pro-bono for a friend. I once agreed to edit my friend's thesis when he was in college... Quite the long project that involved a lot of me asking him questions since it was a topic I didn't know about myself.

Incidentally, he wasn't originally supposed to be paying me- but since I won NaNoWriMo that year and got a coupon for 50% off software that would need still $20 to cover it, that friend decided to give me the $20 dollars for it- but since he knew I wouldn't accept it normally, he told me he was 'paying me for the work'. xD

I have but...they are not going to be allowed to fetch water at my well on a regular basis. If you are not careful you can become exploited.

To an extent. I will help them move, I will loan out small amounts of money that I don't care about getting back, I will come pick them up if they are stranded somewhere. I draw the line with it comes to letting people sleep at my house though. Yes you can stay for a night or two but if you cannot provide me with an end-date to your stay then the answer is no. Before you know it they are living with you, collecting mail and you legally cannot get rid of them.

Restarting a computer because “it won’t turn on”

To an extent. I will help them move, I will loan out small amounts of money that I don't care about getting back, I will come pick them up if they are stranded somewhere. I draw the line with it comes to letting people sleep at my house though. Yes you can stay for a night or two but if you cannot provide me with an end-date to your stay then the answer is no. Before you know it they are living with you, collecting mail and you legally cannot get rid of them.
I'm of the same mind. We don't even let people stay over. It's a bad habit to get started.

there's not really a limit despite what i have been through, but i have most definitely learned to set boundaries so i'm not run all over. ie i've known you for 5 months so no, your on and off psycho boyfriend who is 10 years older than me is NOT going to stay at my house because he got kicked out. that's so wild to even ask (yes, i was actually asked that!) instead, i offer to find them alternatives and help in whatever extent/way i am comfortable with. my true friends (which is maybe like 3?) know i will drop anything at any time and i don't really care if others aren't as giving just as long as i'm not disrespected.

probably the dumbest thing that i've done for a person is "lend" them a ton of rent $ while struggling financially myself, because i proudly believed in the power of a promise. *eyeroll* then i got blocked bc he got himself a gf and she was deeply threatened by our friendship so she "made" him block me, he ended up going to jail for months for domestic violence, and desperately tried contacting me to "explain" - but at that point i figured he realized i was either the only one he could count on or the only one he could still attempt to use, and likely wanted bail money, so i never responded. at least i grew a pair and knew it was against my better judgement to associate with an abuser and a thief. LOL. like don't pay me back at this point, idc, honestly the hundreds were worth it to see his true colors before my life got worse. there is a whole lot more to that story but yeah, dumb thing to do, hard and important lesson learned. some canon event for sure hahaha like it makes me irritated but its more funny than anything now since it was years ago.

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom