What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Have you ever thought about writing a book?

riberet19

Off Topix Regular

Have you ever thought about writing a book? And if so, what genre would you write it in? I would very much like to write books about medieval fantasy for example, since it is the literary genre that attracts my attention the most.

If i write a book i will make every reader confused with my writing. They will develop a good skill in weird understanding :wacko:
Ok serious now if i could i will like to write a horror .

I write short fiction now but a novel would be a longterm goal (as just mentioned in another thread). Genre could be any one of several. Fantasy (not necessarily medieval, I occasionally flirt with contemporary urban fantasy and other cultures) and horror are most likely, though. Maybe an erotic romance if I decide to focus on that side of my writing.

I'm already writing 2 books. One about my fictional Great Uncle Manfred, an Irish wizard (inspired by 'Harry Potter') and a novel about a female singer's rise to fame.

Yes. I have enough writing around my home to make a book. It's just the fact of getting it all typed up and editing and making some changes.

Have written several. Had a major novel and a few shorter works accepted and run by a publisher.

That was an unmitigated nightmare, and I never want to go through it again.

The WRITING is the easy part. To me, it's fun. There's times when I just set back and let the characters do whatever they're doing because I want to know what's going to happen. And I was happy when the publisher said they wanted to do it.

But then.... .....

Going through a 400 page novel with an editor who dissects every paragraph, and compares something from page 75 to something else on page 310 and says there is an inconsistency, and then has some sort of fit about more than two commas in a sentence.

.... .... ... It was a journey through several levels of White Man's Hell. And took damned near as long as the original writing of the book!

I'm not kidding. One of the short stories they ran in a book of several similar stories built around a central theme I knocked out in one afternoon. The editing of the damned thing took two weeks of back and forth emails and "you fixed this, but now that over there needs to be in the same voice".

And I have another example, it's in the introduction to the short novel "Steamswing".

New Short Novel with a decidedly ADULT TOPIC and THEME
This work was rejected by the publisher in 2012 for "Not Being Hot Enough".
Instead of adding extra sex that the plot didn't need to tell the story the Desk wanted to tell,
it elected to keep it as it was, and then post it here. FOR FREE!
STEAMSWING enjoy -Doc L

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom