What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Graffiti is art!

Ravenfreak

The Residential Sonic Nerd

One subject that I think lots of people like to argue about is if graffiti is art or not. I think it is, well the tasteful graffiti is at least. It's super interesting to see what people can do with some spray paint, whether it be big bold text of their streetname, or my favorite pop culture art of sprites from video games or other forms of media. There is a graffiti wall in St. Louis that I used to enjoy going to when I was younger. I haven't been since 2003, I wonder what it looks like now.

One subject that I think lots of people like to argue about is if graffiti is art or not. I think it is, well the tasteful graffiti is at least. It's super interesting to see what people can do with some spray paint, whether it be big bold text of their streetname, or my favorite pop culture art of sprites from video games or other forms of media. There is a graffiti wall in St. Louis that I used to enjoy going to when I was younger. I haven't been since 2003, I wonder what it looks like now.

I've seen some beautiful graffiti in my day. Part of my job is covering it up / painting over it. Sometimes I feel like its a shame to do so when what they created was a masterpiece.

It's art until it gets put on something natural. I can't stand seeing it on the side of bluffs and rocks on a hiking trail. I'll remove it. I carry stuff to remove it.

Paint on the side of a railcar or a underpass bridge, leave nature alone and let it be nature.

It's art until it gets put on something natural. I can't stand seeing it on the side of bluffs and rocks on a hiking trail. I'll remove it. I carry stuff to remove it.

Paint on the side of a railcar or a underpass bridge, leave nature alone and let it be nature.

Thats a good point. It doesn't look cool when they're vandalizing nature!

Surprised you carry stuff to clean off vandalism and do that in your off time. What a good samaritan you are!

I really do agree with this principle, but, MAYBE there are a few exceptions to every rule?
'Numeral Mountain'
LirYfRtm.jpg

X0AiNZxm.jpg
uu3cYG8m.jpg

Entiat landmark preserves nearly 100 years of small-town tradition
The town of Entiat will collect this Saturday at the Entiat City Park for a high school alumni gathering to celebrate 100 years of graduating classes in the small town.

One of the most unique features of the Entiat Valley you have more than likely passed by on your way down U.S. Route 97 is Numeral Mountain.

For nearly 100 years, graduating classes have leave their mark in paint on the rock as a way to both preserve tradition and leave their mark on the community.
Lifelong Entiat resident and class of 1957 graduate Peggy Whitmore told NCWLIFE the tradition of the historic small town landmark.
“The tradition was you camp out overnight so the juniors wouldn’t smear it out but that’s by the wayside now for safety purposes,” Whitmore said.

Whitmore added that although some outsiders have been vocal about the defacing of the mountain, the Entiat community remains loyal to its tradition.

“One of the things about our community is we are very loyal to tradition and the history of our community and when someone wants to take that away we tend to get pretty vocal,” Whitmore said.
Entiat Community Historical Society President and class of 1956 graduate Wayne Long says that the numbers on the mountain go as far back as 1920, although this wasn’t the first year a class left their imprint on the landmark.

“The first number put up there was from the class of 1923, and in the past few years they elected to add 1920, 1921 and 1922 up there to honor those classes,” Long said.

The mountain still contains plenty of space for future classes to leave their mark on and Entiat residents hope another 100 years of tradition will be displayed on Numeral Mountain.

I really do agree with this principle, but, MAYBE there are a few exceptions to every rule?
'Numeral Mountain'
LirYfRtm.jpg

X0AiNZxm.jpg
uu3cYG8m.jpg

Entiat landmark preserves nearly 100 years of small-town tradition
The town of Entiat will collect this Saturday at the Entiat City Park for a high school alumni gathering to celebrate 100 years of graduating classes in the small town.

One of the most unique features of the Entiat Valley you have more than likely passed by on your way down U.S. Route 97 is Numeral Mountain.

For nearly 100 years, graduating classes have leave their mark in paint on the rock as a way to both preserve tradition and leave their mark on the community.
Lifelong Entiat resident and class of 1957 graduate Peggy Whitmore told NCWLIFE the tradition of the historic small town landmark.
“The tradition was you camp out overnight so the juniors wouldn’t smear it out but that’s by the wayside now for safety purposes,” Whitmore said.

Whitmore added that although some outsiders have been vocal about the defacing of the mountain, the Entiat community remains loyal to its tradition.

“One of the things about our community is we are very loyal to tradition and the history of our community and when someone wants to take that away we tend to get pretty vocal,” Whitmore said.
Entiat Community Historical Society President and class of 1956 graduate Wayne Long says that the numbers on the mountain go as far back as 1920, although this wasn’t the first year a class left their imprint on the landmark.

“The first number put up there was from the class of 1923, and in the past few years they elected to add 1920, 1921 and 1922 up there to honor those classes,” Long said.

The mountain still contains plenty of space for future classes to leave their mark on and Entiat residents hope another 100 years of tradition will be displayed on Numeral Mountain.

I'll let that one slide. :p

I'll let that one slide. :p
How about lovers carving their initials/names on a tree in the woods? Not paint, but is that also graffiti?

5bgArK1m.jpg

Thats a good point. It doesn't look cool when they're vandalizing nature!

Surprised you carry stuff to clean off vandalism and do that in your off time. What a good samaritan you are!
The public land management agencies won't do it.

"Budget cuts"

So, I just do it. I don't ask for permission, either. I use stuff that is biodegradable and not harmful to the environment called Elephant Snot.

You know Native Americans carved but their art meant something. What I brush off today is usually something with profanity in it.

I've seen some beautiful graffiti in my day. Part of my job is covering it up / painting over it. Sometimes I feel like its a shame to do so when what they created was a masterpiece.

I think a lot of it is trashy. I don't think it's art when you deface someone's property without their permission. With that said, I have seen some good works. There's a business in my town that will graffiti the side of buildings if the owner pays them a commission.

It's just vandalism.

Graffiti-tagged L.A. high-rise a 'blight' and 'worldwide issue,' police chief says

February 7, 2024
LOS ANGELES — Dozens of people showed up at a graffiti-marred downtown Los Angeles high-rise Tuesday in an attempt to further vandalize a property that the police chief warns is becoming a “center of mischief and turmoil," as well as a “worldwide issue.”
At least six arrests for vandalism have been made since the graffiti tags on the long-stalled Oceanwide Plaza project, near the arena that hosted the Grammy Awards on Sunday, attracted national and international attention last week.
Police Chief Michel Moore on Wednesday called the buildings and their condition “a visual blight.”

“It has become a worldwide issue, where we now have people traveling here in an effort make their mark,” Moore, who is retiring at the end of the month, said at a news conference naming an interim chief.
The project stalled in 2019 over funding problems. Last week, after video was shared showing graffiti tags on the windows of many floors of the high-rise, police vowed to crack down.
Police responded at around 1 p.m. Tuesday to search the vacant building and fortify a perimeter fence, Moore said, spending the entire day on the issue, only to have more people show up that night.
“We had dozens of individuals arrive last night and attempt to scale, and some did, the fence,” Moore said. ........................ -

Grafitti when created well is very much art. We see a lot around where I live and I would imagine elsewhere too where people randomly write their name or write something inappropriate on walls and such which I do not believe is art.

Images that are done well as part of graffiti and in some cases have a meaning are very much art.

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom