What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Drivable junk

DrLeftover

Forum Curmudgeon (certified)
Elite Member

"The state of my van".

I "fixed" the perpetually low tire, maybe, I think the rim is rusted on the INSIDE. Then looked around at my vehicle. A 2000 Chevy Astro van. 87,000 miles.

Rusty undercarriage to the point that there's no point in replacing the rear shock that has failed. Because the part it bolts to is gone. But that's OK, because one rear spring has broken and the other is almost done. But that's OK because the rear axle looks like it's being held in place by sheer force of habit. Compared to all that, the 'active water feature' from the windshield, and driver's door electronics with an evil sense of humor is minor. The "A/C don't and the heater won't", oh, and the side door is a hazard to your fingers to try to shut. And I still haven't found out what's stinking somewhere around the back seat, might be the back seat. Which doesn't matter when the temp is below freezing because you can't MAKE IT start, period. (no, jumping it is a waste of perfectly good electrons, it is something in the wiring under the dash that freezes and won't work.)

So.... .... make me an offer?

Time to call the scrap metal place and see if you can get anything for it.

I went and got the new license sticker for it, it had expired at the end of May and I wasn't sure if we were going to put another hundred bucks into it to make it legal for another year.

But, as it IS paid for, it does run, at least most of the time, and the one rear tire WILL hold air for about 24 hours, the other needs a shot about once a week....

We're keeping it, for now.

However, it is becoming the source of much amusement in our church where I am currently the entire building and fixture maintenance department (a position that was neglected for several years).

The comment from a elder that "the tools and parts IN the van are worth MORE than the van itself", very well could be accurate.

The comment from a elder that "the tools and parts IN the van are worth MORE than the van itself", very well could be accurate.

Now that cracked me up! :rofl2:

87,000 miles isn't that much. Maybe you could get something for the engine?

I would sell it for scrap and use that for some car payments.

I just checked.

A running used V6 engine from that year runs between $700 and 900 dollars.

A running transmission is another couple of hundred.

Nothing else of the drive train is worth a damn.

That might be a down payment.

Any car that runs is worth at least $2,000 in my opinion. Everything else is extra.

How on earth did it pass inspection?

I discovered another advantage to having a joke for a vehicle.

Whenever somebody wants to go someplace when my wife needs her car, they always say "I can pick you up".

Even my father doesn't want to ride in this thing any more.

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom