What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Do you listen to music from countries that few people listen to?

riberet19

Off Topix Regular

I have a friend who listens to music of virtually all types and from all countries, African countries, Mongolia, some Southeast Asian countries, and more, and I'm amazed at all the different songs he teaches me, in your case, do you listen to music from many countries?

French, Swedish and Kurdish music. I also like Vietnamese singer Khanh Linh.

A couple of years ago I bought an album by the Mongolian rock group The Hu. It's pretty awesome even though I can't understand a word they're saying (singing).

I think getting into metal has expanded my horizons a bit. I listen to a lot more music from continental Europe now, especially the Nordic countries. Around here, music from those areas is not common. My favourite band at the moment is Nightwish, who are Finnish and I don't think I had heard of any specific bands from that country before them. Their lead singer is Dutch, and The Netherlands is another country that I don't recall hearing much from before and now, largely thanks to her, I pay attention to that scene and have several favourites from that country.

A couple of years ago I bought an album by the Mongolian rock group The Hu. It's pretty awesome even though I can't understand a word they're saying (singing).
Amen. They were a bit of a surprise when I got into them earlier this year but, wow, what a band.

And not knowing a word they are singing is something I can live with. After all, I'm an opera fan who knows no German or Italian so has to follow the story using translated librettos or subtitles when available. Otherwise, I just enjoy the music.

I do listen to music from all over the world ... if i like the sound i can listen to anything no need to understant the words .

I do listen to music from all over the world ... if i like the sound i can listen to anything no need to understant the words .

Do you think understanding the words helps you get into a song more?

Do you think understanding the words helps you get into a song more?
It does help more if the only reason is the meaning of the song , but because i'm a person that the musical instrument is more important a think does not matter much to me .
I think i pay attention a lot on the instrument and sound..... a reason i don't know a lot of full songs the words, or remember most words of a lot of song o_O

I live in a small country, so, the music in my mother tongue per definition falls into this category. Over here, you hear about anything on the radio: a lot of English of course, French songs, Dutch songs, around Eurovision all the contestants, Spanish & Italian songs, and the occasional song that doesn't fall into either of the above. Most languages are Western European though.

I do often for example I adore Alizee from France even though she has semi retired.

Some Japanese songs I've listened to, but mostly I prefer things in the English language.

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom