What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Do you have good neighbors?

Mad Hatter

I'm as crazy as a shithouse rat!

As to me the answer is both yes and no. Some are o.k. some are snoopy and want to know stuff that doesn't concern them. But at least they are all quiet and we don't have any loud party animals on our street. No druggies, but we do have an alcoholic and also a guy with mental issues who nobody likes or trusts.

A couple of yappy dogs and a cat that craps in our yard all the time. Not a bad neighborhood all in all. What about where you live, good neighbors or are they a pain in the backside?

I live in an apartment complex and rarely notice my neighbours, which is just the way I like it. So yes, I have good neighbours.

The house on the left has an elderly couple who moved in about two years ago. We don't chat much, just a quick hi when we see each other.
They're quiet and keep to themselves.

On the right, there's a family of five - a couple with two teen kids and an elderly lady. Before COVID, I used to chat with the elderly lady a lot, but I rarely see her daughter or the kids now. The man is always busy in the yard, so I recognise him. They're okay, just a bit quirky.

Everyone else around here seems okay too. As long as things are peaceful, I'm good. That's what matters most.

I barely know my neighbors. I live in an apartment complex where turnover can be pretty regular anyway (I say, having lived here for about a decade). I don't really know most of my neighbors well... Besides one lady a building away from mine. She's nice and used to give me hand-me-downs a lot, and we always greet each other the rare times we see each other outside. Otherwise though... The only interactions I really have with neighbors is when the upstairs neighbors happen to be coming home or leaving when I go to fetch a package. Otherwise I only really know their names from the packages that come to the house that aren't for us.

We have elderly couples on both sides and get on well with them. However, one has moved into a retirement home so their house will like be going on the market this spring or summer (it will be the fourth time since we moved in). The other couple has an adult son with them so that might keep them in the house longer but one has had colon cancer and the other is legally blind and has mobility issues so who knows how much longer they will be around. Across the street is a young family but that house has a history of turning over pretty regularly. So far, so good with this owner so I am crossing fingers they stay for a while.

I wish I could actually be better friends with my neighbors in case of an emergency, in case they notice something with my house, etc. There is one neighbor I am close to, but the other never talks to anyone

Nope, terrible neighbors. One side you never see, which is fine, the other side are busybodies who have called the police on us twice because we dared to temporarily park on the road one night after 10PM.

Mostly. I live in a 2-story apartment building with a carport underneath. I'm on the top floor at the end of one side of the building and so I only have a downstairs and next door neighbor. The other 3 walls face the outside. My newish next door neighbors are fine, except they always slam the front door when they come in and out. It's jarring, but they've been quiet mostly aside from that.

My dad reminded me of one of our old neighbors the other day. He bought fresh mint leaves from a random supplier. I found them and was immediately like. "Mint leaves... The same as the ones our neighbor grew and shoved up my nose thinking it'd help me smell them." -- not sure if that person was a good or a bad neighbor, since they meant well despite doing such a weird thing...

True, they could've shoved something far more dangerous up there... But it still wasn't comfortable having mint in my nose. I couldn't smell it, but it sure tickled! xD
No you fail to understand...he could have shoved it up another place besides your nose.

No you fail to understand...he could have shoved it up another place besides your nose.
...I don't think I have enough optional orifices they could have easily reached or logically used, since at the time, she was telling me to smell it and I said I can't. But you make an interesting point! xD

Mine are cool, everyone on this street is quiet and keeps to themselves. I've been interacting with them more now that I go daily walks with the dogs. They are nice people.

Nope, terrible neighbors. One side you never see, which is fine, the other side are busybodies who have called the police on us twice because we dared to temporarily park on the road one night after 10PM.

Is that illegal?

Nope, it's an HOA violation. The police actually apologized to us for having to come out and make contact.

Oh you live under an HOA? That sucks. When I was looking at houses any house in an HOA neighborhood was automatically out, I wouldn't go look at any of those.

Oh you live under an HOA? That sucks. When I was looking at houses any house in an HOA neighborhood was automatically out, I wouldn't go look at any of those.
We had to take what we could find, sadly, and that was a house in an HOA. I absolutely abhor HOAs, they're garbage.

We had to take what we could find, sadly, and that was a house in an HOA. I absolutely abhor HOAs, they're garbage.

Some areas and in some states you're lucky to find a house that ISN'T in an HOA. Almost all houses are HOA in those areas / states.

Where I am its usually just gated communities and condos / apartments.

Some areas and in some states you're lucky to find a house that ISN'T in an HOA. Almost all houses are HOA in those areas / states.

Where I am its usually just gated communities and condos / apartments.
Yeah, I absolutely hate that. HOAs are awful, they don't even help home values, or if they do it's a minimal amount that's negated by the COST of the HOA itself. So...STOP DOING THEM, PEOPLE!

I've never been in an HOA but I've heard some nightmare stories.

Its especially bad if you own your house. If you're renting... sure, you signed a contract and agreed to follow a bunch of arbitrary rules, thats part of the deal so living in an HOA wouldn't be much different. When you buy a house, its yours and you should be able to do whatever you want with it. Not if you're living under an HOA.

Direct neighbors? Yes and no. I have a set of neighbors that just moved in and park their cars wherever they want, there's a neighbor who's 40 year old son does drug deals in front of my house, and then there's a neighbor who walks around with mental issues that happens to carry a gun on him. I Tend to stay inside lol.

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom