What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Do you believe in horoscopes?

Nebulous

Maintenance Man
Administrator
Founder

Do you believe in horoscopes?

When was the last time you read yours?

New Moon Sun GIF by Love, Lanyadoo

Nope.
Whenever the last time was that I read an actual newspaper. :D Long, long ago & far away. :p

I've never truly believed in horoscopes, but it was a pleasant topic to discuss when I was younger.
I used to read about it just to see what was written.
However I can't say I fully believe in it. There might be something to it, but perhaps not in the way we commonly think.

No because we are shaped by our upbringing, culture and life experiences not some random accident of birth.

OK.

Now it's my turn.

The horoscope that is printed in the daily newspapers that survive, or that is featured on assorted mass consumption websites are so much hogwash. And most of their 'predictions' are recycled from one sign to another every so often. And if you look through them, you'll notice huge generalizations and trends, not in the predictions that "you're going to meet a person of interest", but in the way they are all written and the ambiguous phrases they use.

All right, we'll put that one to bed.

If you go to a professional astrologer that has been through the sometimes years long training, they won't just work off the fact that you're a Scorpio. They're going to pull up a chart based on the TIME of your birth, down to the minute if that information is available, and work off a dozen or more points and draw up a chart that looks like some WWII battle plan for the War in the Pacific.

Something like this:
2-21-2014-chart.jpg

And those, which can be made up for an event as well as a person, can be so accurate with trends and personality insights that they are spooky.

NO, whether Jupiter is setting or rising has no bearing on whether you ordered a fish sandwich for lunch, but it may have something to do with your preference for fish sandwiches.

The Solar System is a vast, complicated, and endlessly changing body in space, and the interactions between the various bodies in it is poorly understood by Modern Science, but the Maya and other ancients seem to have had a good grasp on it, and we are just now coming to appreciate their civilization. So who's to say that there isn't something there?

Oh, and if you say "Astrology is all bunk".... you evidently have never look at a Planting Guide for farmers or read a coastal Tide Chart. Those are also a form of astrology. And that's not to mention those "guys from out of town" that paid a visit to the Christ child that everybody sings about in December.

I spent some time barking at this tree several years ago, the result is:

I do not.

I did a job in December for a woman who was really into it though. She insisted her kitchen floor be installed before 2024 or else it would have to wait until 2025. This was because "the stars" told her that any construction projects in 2024 would be bad luck, lol.

OK.

Now it's my turn.

The horoscope that is printed in the daily newspapers that survive, or that is featured on assorted mass consumption websites are so much hogwash. And most of their 'predictions' are recycled from one sign to another every so often. And if you look through them, you'll notice huge generalizations and trends, not in the predictions that "you're going to meet a person of interest", but in the way they are all written and the ambiguous phrases they use.

All right, we'll put that one to bed.

If you go to a professional astrologer that has been through the sometimes years long training, they won't just work off the fact that you're a Scorpio. They're going to pull up a chart based on the TIME of your birth, down to the minute if that information is available, and work off a dozen or more points and draw up a chart that looks like some WWII battle plan for the War in the Pacific.

Something like this:
2-21-2014-chart.jpg

And those, which can be made up for an event as well as a person, can be so accurate with trends and personality insights that they are spooky.

NO, whether Jupiter is setting or rising has no bearing on whether you ordered a fish sandwich for lunch, but it may have something to do with your preference for fish sandwiches.

The Solar System is a vast, complicated, and endlessly changing body in space, and the interactions between the various bodies in it is poorly understood by Modern Science, but the Maya and other ancients seem to have had a good grasp on it, and we are just now coming to appreciate their civilization. So who's to say that there isn't something there?

Oh, and if you say "Astrology is all bunk".... you evidently have never look at a Planting Guide for farmers or read a coastal Tide Chart. Those are also a form of astrology. And that's not to mention those "guys from out of town" that paid a visit to the Christ child that everybody sings about in December.

I spent some time barking at this tree several years ago, the result is:

slay

I've never put much stock into astrology, but I've also never truly looked into it. I have a friend online that is very into it and has done a lot of research, and I admire him for having done that and finding enjoyment in astrology. It just isn't something I've managed to get into.

The Chinese horoscope is even less accurate.

Just no.

I once signed up for one and kept getting SPAM emails from them. There was no way to stop them.

Horoscopes are stupid.

I think people who read them in the morning would make all that stuff happen because they put it in their brains.

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom