What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Critics Blast Private Jet Usage As Climate Summit Begins in Dubai

Webster

Retired Snark Master
Administrator

(BBC News) COP28 private jet flights criticised online
Politicians, business leaders, and activists may all be rubbing shoulders at COP28, but on social media many have been criticised for travelling to Dubai by private jet.

While private jets may only account for 4% of total fuel use in global aviation, their environmental impact is disproportionally high. Not only can they be especially energy-intensive, they also emit more greenhouse gases per passenger than bigger planes.

University College London (UCL) researchers say that the environmental cost of a single person flying by private jet from London to COP28 is equivalent to that of 11 passengers on a direct commercial flight.

During COP27, which was held in Egypt last year, 315 private jet journeys were recorded - a number “way beyond the number of world leaders, who should travel in the most secure way possible”, says Mark Maslin, a climate change professor at UCL. “It is essential that COP meetings are in person. But using private jets when you are not a world leader sends the wrong message to the world.”
-Read more: https://ucl.scienceopen.com/hosted-document?doi=10.14324/111.444/000218.v1
-Read more: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/bartlett/igp/...te-jet-travel-and-other-modes-transport-cop28
-Read more: https://ucl.scienceopen.com/hosted-document?doi=10.14324/111.444/000218.v1

Well that's too much for me to absorb right now but politicians are the elite now. I'm not providing a link but the Canadian press went nuts years ago when our Governor general went to the UK. She had gone for breakfast which was a bit overpriced since she bought a $16 glass of orange juice.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the chances that the environmental freaks walked or biked to the summit

Years ago one of the highest profile climate activists took a private jet from the US to Scandinavia for some reason, and then caught the bus from the airport into town to show how committed he was to being green.

Oh, shucks, I can't remember who that was or why he went. Maybe you can find it.

Years ago one of the highest profile climate activists took a private jet from the US to Scandinavia for some reason, and then caught the bus from the airport into town to show how committed he was to being green.

Oh, shucks, I can't remember who that was or why he went. Maybe you can find it.

I couldn't be bothered to search for that because I believe you.

Now now, I’m curious. Betcha it happens frequently. Ppl are selfish, they care more for their reputation than integrity.

I read the story some time in the past so it was easy to believe. As for integrity our dictator trudeau never mentioned much about the environment when he was running for election the first time and once elected he became the world's authority on it. He bought a pipeline that will never be built for $4.5 billion that will never so his buddies wouldn't lose money on it. As for trump his reputation and integrity are a delusion in his own mind and the maga.

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom