What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Comic Con - Woo!

McConnaughay

An Instant Classic
Elite Member

I live in a small village in Illinois that is literally in scenic nowhere, and so, I always make a point to appreciate the moments whenever I can do things like this. There was an hour drive followed by an hour train-ride before getting to Comic Con. I went and got my tickets, a pricy sixty-dollars a pop, which is the entire reason that I opted not to go to Comic Con last year. There were plenty of comic-books embroidering the walls, but honestly, that really wasn't my primary reason for coming. I didn't have a lot of money and while other-wise I would have had a field-day, I still spent about two or three hours alone looking through comics.

I ended up spending around thirty or forty dollars. The first thing that I bought was the first ten issues of Hellraiser. I have always enjoyed Clive Barker's work, I liked the movies, even if they were nothing special at all whatsoever, and I liked the Hellbound Heart, which is the novella that they based the franchise off of. Candy Man is also a franchise that I remember, not fondly, however. Other-wise, I liked his comic-books for Night Breed, and I liked the Clive Barker's Jericho video-game, even if it wasn't amazing, I thought the visuals were dementedly brilliant. I have since read the first two comic-books, and I have to say, while the second issue was underwhelming, the first was stupendous. I really like the illustrations that they've done for this, and I also believe that Clive Barker is writing a lot better than he did in the Night Breed comics. He likes his big words, which is well and good, but he has the habit of using them to excess.

For those that are a fan of the show, Jericho, you'll appreciate my second purchase. Those unaware, Jericho is, in my opinion, a tremendous show that was canceled unjustly and tarnished by a rushed second season. However, they tried to make it up to the cult following that watched the show by releasing comic-book seasons. They have released a season three and a season four. I bought season four. I haven't read a lot of it yet, I am saving it for when I am ready to invest a lot of time and interest into it, much like what I am doing for V for Vendetta which I bought at a comic-book store near the college that I'll be attending.

William Shatner, Burt Ward, and Adam West each did question and answers, along with Jon Bernthal and Milo Ventimiglia. Adam West and Burt Ward were entertaining, but they didn't really answer a lot of questions, whereas William Shatner was hilariously entertaining and answered the questions in extreme depth. I didn't know who either Ventimiglia or Bernthal was, but I enjoyed a lot of what they had to say. Milo is from Heroes and Jon is from The Walking Dead. They were both hilarious, Jon Bernthal kind-of gave a douche-bag vibe at times, but he won me over. "I remember whenever I was doing ride along things with the police for a movie. I got really into it, and I did something really stupid. There was this guy and he took this girl's purse and I was all like, holy ****, I'm a cop, and I went over to try and stop it." - Not an Exact Quote.

Milo talked about a movie called Pathology, which I watched a day later, ... disappointed.

While these were all entertaining, as were the half-naked Harley Quins, the best part was easily when Bruce Campbell and Ted Raimi took the stage. Bruce Campbell is just, he's just a lot of fun all the time, and he did this "versus the audience" act where he brought people from the stage and asked them questions. One of the times, he was talking to somebody who made instruments, he said, "Can you make me one?" and the guy said sure, and Campbell asked for his phone so he could put in his contact information. He took the phone and riffled through the messages, "You know that somebody's home?"

The man revealed that it was his wife, Bruce Campbell smiled and said that he'd call her for him. The audience silenced and Bruce Campbell called her. "I am here with your husband, and I have some bad news for you. YOU ARE NEVER GOING TO SEE HIM AGAIN."

Click. And he held the phone for a while to let it simmer for good measure.

Oh, the Green Power Ranger was there, he was one of the judges for the costume contest.

Good stuff!

Lol, I bet that guy is gonna have issues with the wife. And yeah, Green Ranger is practically everywhere these days.

He really stuck with the Green Ranger trademark while everybody else moved on, but he is entertaining and enthusiastic, so, there's that.

Cool, glad you had fun at comic con :dance:

I have read the first four issues of Hellraiser so far, and I have to say, while the illustrations are continuously inspired in a demented sort of way, it all has seemed half-ass since the first issue. Since the first issue, it's basically cut itself in half in-terms of size, which sucks.

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom