What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Books or Movies?

Princess

Gold Member
Elite Member
Retired Admin

Which is better in your opinion....books or the movies about the book?

Personally, I prefer the book. there's so much that the movie has to leave out, due to time (and money) constraints.

sometimes the movies are better (bridge to terabithia) and mostly the movies are crap. (dont know an example but there are loads.) so i say stick with books.

Mostly the movies based on books are terrible. But if the book is awful, the movie sometimes can be a nice adaption.

Except Twilight. Both the book AND the movie suck.

But either way I definitely love books more. I've been a bookwork since as long as I can remember, that being...5.

I used to be a huge bookworm, but movies are dominant now.

Books, because there a lot of things in the books that they don't put in the movies.

Irvine said:
Books, because there a lot of things in the books that they don't put in the movies.

My thinking exactly. There were lots of things in the Harry Potter books that weren't in the movies. Sometimes the best parts of the books are left out.

It would depend on my part. I love to read, but honestly, books are sometimes loads better than movies. You don't miss anything if you have to get up and go do something, for one thing!

Movies - watch, requires little effort. Books on the other hand, you need a nice, peaceful place to read or else it'll go out as soon as you read it. If I do read, it has to be a really good book. I've read a few good books before, but most books that I've read recently require too much imagination and thought, where a movie is direct, you see what is happening.

Books. Sometimes when I read the book first, it makes me understand the movie a whole lot more. My mom made me read The Notebook before she let me watch it, and it took me a day to read it - I read fast.
laugh.gif
The movies are good, but most of the time, they leave many parts out - sometimes even major parts.

Yeah - I can name all the differences and similarities in Twilight, and I haven't even seen it in months because my DVD player is broken. The same goes for Harry Potter, The Notebook, and any other book turned movie that I've seen. Sometimes, the changes bother me, but sometimes I think they're good.

It depends on the movie or book? I'm not going to be loyal to all books, regardless of how good or bad the movie adaption is. I will like whichever one is better in my own opinion.

Oh wait I just thought of one after reading darthmaul's ask thread.
biggrin.gif

STAR WARS NOVELS SUCK. Compared to the movies at least.

The Forrest Gump book was terrible. I thought of another one earlier today, but I forgot it.

Ummmm... i like both actually..however the books are better than the movie adaptations. However it is great to see your favorite books come to life...

Some of my favorite book to movie adaptations are:

- Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe

- Harry Potter Series

- Matilda

- Through the Looking Glass > Alice in the Wonderland (can't wait to see the Tim Burton adaptation)

&

- The Sookie Stackhouse Series > True Blood (not really a movie but its on TV)

I absolutely HATED Harry Potter on the silver screen...

But this latest Chronicles of Narnia series looks like it's good. The only one I have seen, so far, is The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe.

Movies explain more about the story and you get to see it happen in the movie, with a book you use your imagination. I perfer movies though. But, it's good to read books sometimes as some books explain more about the story than the movie does.

With most cases the film adaptation, while it may be entertaining, usually falls short in honoring the book, instead changing things up to give it more of a Hollywood vibe.

There are few film adaptations that live up to the book; the last one I can think of that actually lived up to the book was Into the Wild.

Books. The latest example of a book > it's adaptation is Watchmen.

I love books better when I can be bothered to sit down and read one. It just is too hard to get the will to read one when it is just not that interesting
sadcry.gif

I love a good read. I tend to be a little critical of movies when they are adapted from books. Although.. the Left Behind first two films really held up well to their book forms.

The movie of the Bourne Identity is much better than the book. However, in most cases I like the book more. I love reading the book first and then seeing the movie later. A previous read of the book gives you a much clearer understanding of what's happing in the movie.

I prefer films, I don't have the patience to read.

Books

Cause

A.) More Detail

and

after hearing about them completley changing the end of my sister's keeper for the movie

B.) Movies tend to change details and its annoying.

Books but don't get me wrong, I do love the movies too it's just that sometimes with the movies, things change....a lot.

I pretty much only have time to watch movies. I don't care to read the books. Often times reading novels bore the piss out of me and it's hard for me to focus on the stories.

The movie for sure! I don't really read boooks that much.

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom