What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Believe more or less in science?

Olivia

Tell me about it
Thread Creator

Do people believe more or less in science than they did 50 years ago?

What do you think about that?

lab scientist GIF by Hronotop Graphic

There is nothing to believe in. You can see the manifestation of science in everyday life. Science is not something you can believe and hope it works. It is something empirical, can be proven over and over and as such there is no need to believe in it. What can be troublesome for people today is the harmful effects of modern discoveries that are not being told to us.

I would say that a lot of it has to do with how science has evolved over time. It has started to invest more time and studies into hypothetical and possibly impossible-to-prove concepts or simply very hard to explain to the public what the findings even mean or how they found them. For example, quantum physics is much harder to prove and easier to debate than how the continents were formed. This seems to have created doubt and often seems to get a lot of people involved who honestly don't really have an understanding of the topics with a harder time disproving those people. This also creates more confusion and resistance from the general population. If you look at something like the creation of life, it is much easier to show fossils and DNA about how humans evolved than trying to explain how aging works through some theory on time.

I would also say that politics have taken a solid stance on many topics that they probably should have let science figure things out with. Global warming is a great example of how the public was bombarded with concepts that went far and beyond the findings and how science linked the warming to long-term effects. Today it is a battle to find the middle ground between global warming facts and theories as more facts are discovered.

There is nothing to believe in. You can see the manifestation of science in everyday life. Science is not something you can believe and hope it works. It is something empirical, can be proven over and over and as such there is no need to believe in it. What can be troublesome for people today is the harmful effects of modern discoveries that are not being told to us.

Agree 100%. For people who act like science is a religious belief, I find it funny how they slam it but then they turn around and use computers, cell phones, the Internet, drive cars, get on airplanes, air conditioning & heating, home appliances, and go to the hospitals when they're sick. Those things are products of Science. If it weren't for Science we wouldn't have those things.

I think we are leaning more into Science now more than ever before. We're smart now. People have been dumb for thousands of years. :crazy: :p

I think we are leaning more into Science now more than ever before. We're smart now. People have been dumb for thousands of years. :crazy: :p
Pretty much this. It's the loudest idiots who tend to speak for the many, but I do believe science is truly leading the way forward. I just hope we can swim through this sea of perceived ignorance given how ubiquitous the media is portraying our understanding of the world around us.

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom