What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

BBC: "Japan- Man sentenced to death for Kyoto anime fire which killed 36"

DrLeftover

Forum Curmudgeon (certified)
Elite Member

A Japanese man has been sentenced to death for an arson attack at a Kyoto animation studio in 2019 which killed 36 people and injured dozens more.

The incident, one of Japan's deadliest in recent decades, killed mostly young artists and shocked the anime world.

Shinji Aoba, 45, pleaded guilty to the attack but his lawyers had sought a lighter sentence on grounds of "mental incompetence".

Judges rejected this however, ruling that Aoba knew what he was doing.

"I have determined that the defendant was not mentally insane or weak at the time of the crime," Chief Judge Masuda said on Thursday at Kyoto District Court.

more:

I don't feel bad for him. He made his bed and now he has to sleep in it. No matter how badly you get treated, murder is never the answer.

Too Bad, So Sad
I don't feel bad for him. He made his bed and now he has to sleep in it. No matter how badly you get treated, murder is never the answer.
As long as justice is swift, sure and certain I've got no problem with (even though on principle I'm opposed to capital punishment).

(even though on principle I'm opposed to capital punishment).
I often wish people wouldn't do terrible things to other human beings. It's hard for me to feel sorry for murderers or child molesters when they knew and were forewarned by the law way in advance that there are consequences for those actions.

RIP to all those victims :(

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom