What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

AZ State Senator Announces Intent To Procure Abortion After Notification of Non-Viable Pregnancy

Webster

Retired Snark Master
Administrator

(The Guardian) An Arizona lawmaker announced on Monday on the state senate floor that she plans to have an abortion after learning that her pregnancy is not viable, the Associated Press writes.

State senator Eva Burch, a registered nurse known for her reproductive rights activism, was surrounded by fellow Democratic senators as she made the announcement, the Arizona Republic reported and the AP brings us via news wire.

Burch said that she found out a few weeks ago that “against all odds”, she was pregnant. The mother of two living children from west Mesa who is running for re-election said she has had “a rough journey” with fertility. She experienced her first miscarriage 13 years ago, was pregnant many times and terminated a nonviable pregnancy as she campaigned for her senate seat two years ago, she said.

Now, Burch said that her current pregnancy was not progressing and not viable and she had made an appointment to terminate. -- I don’t think people should have to justify their abortions. But I’m choosing to talk about why I made this decision because I want us to be able to have meaningful conversations about the reality of how the work that we do in this body impacts people in the real world.”

Burch said the state’s laws have “interfered” with her decision. Arizona law required an “invasive” transvaginal ultrasound that her doctor didn’t order and she was then read “factually false” information about alternatives that was required by law, she said. -- I’m a perfect example of why this relationship should be between patients and providers,” not state lawmakers,” Burch said.

I'm of the opinion that we do need abortion medical treatment for women. Non viable pregnancies are a threat to many many women. Just one example is an ectopic pregnancy. Imagine a woman who has one and unless she sees someone that can remove it, she's fixing to be very dead as that egg develops.
An ectopic pregnancy is when a fertilised egg implants itself outside of the womb, usually in one of the fallopian tubes. The fallopian tubes are the tubes connecting the ovaries to the womb. If an egg gets stuck in them, it won't develop into a baby and your health may be at risk if the pregnancy continues.
Without treatment, an ectopic pregnancy can cause the place where it's attached to bleed heavily or burst. This can lead to serious bleeding and even death in the pregnant women.

Indeed

Good for her, though, talk about it, shed light on why abortion isn't this monstrous process people make it out to be. It is a necessary thing in this world. Do people abuse it? Of course they do, but the same is true of all things.

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom