What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

4.8 Earthquake Shakes the NYC Tri-State Area

Juneberry

Friendly Alien

Source: https://nypost.com/2024/04/05/us-news/earthquake-rocks-nyc-tri-state-area/

A rare earthquake rocked the New York City area Friday morning, swaying buildings and sending terrified residents into the streets — the strongest temblor to strike near the Big Apple in 130 years.

City officials quickly warned people of the danger of potential aftershocks — which already began in the early afternoon in New Jersey, a report said.

The preliminary 4.8-magnitude earthquake struck near Lebanon, NJ, around 10:23 a.m., according to the US Geological Survey.

I've read a few different articles about it since it woke me up this morning while I was taking a nap. It was definitely Hunterdon County, but it varies what town it says it originates in from what I'm seeing.
Either way... Interesting wake-up.

Any property damage in your area @Juneberry ?

Any property damage in your area @Juneberry ?
I haven't really gone outside or asked around the neighborhood yet, but I'm assuming not personally. We're about 50 miles from the epicenter regardless of where in Hunterdon County it was... And while our apartment certainly shook a fair bit, nothing really fell down in my apartment from what I'm aware. It was just spooky.

I tried looking for info online, but it looks like the only thing I'm finding is articles about police asking people to stop panicking about it and to stop calling them. They know we had the earthquake, so calm down, is what I'm seeing. xD

I might look into any damage closer to the epicenter, though.

We felt it in my area, the whole house shook.

I haven't really gone outside or asked around the neighborhood yet, but I'm assuming not personally. We're about 50 miles from the epicenter regardless of where in Hunterdon County it was... And while our apartment certainly shook a fair bit, nothing really fell down in my apartment from what I'm aware. It was just spooky.

I tried looking for info online, but it looks like the only thing I'm finding is articles about police asking people to stop panicking about it and to stop calling them. They know we had the earthquake, so calm down, is what I'm seeing. xD

I might look into any damage closer to the epicenter, though.
Hope everything is okay.

It was felt as far south as MD and my house shook for like 2 seconds.

I wonder what's been with all of these earth quakes lately? :ponder:

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom