What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

The Saturn I Program, 1961-1965

Webster

Retired Snark Master
Administrator

Documentary about the Saturn I program, entirely based on historical narration and footage. Covers early development and all ten flights (SA-1 to SA-10), from 1961 to 1965.

00:00 Intro
01:00 Origins
07:00 Saturn Project
10:17 Original Saturn I Configuration
19:45 Launch Complex 34 and 37
22:27 SA-1 (dummy 2nd and 3rd stages)
25:11 SA-2 (Project Highwater, dummy 2nd and 3rd stages)
27:20 SA-3 (Project Highwater, dummy 2nd and 3rd stages)
29:30 SA-4 (dummy 2nd and 3rd stages)
31:00 Saturn I Block II
35:09 SA-5 (live S-IV second stage)
37:03 SA-6 (Apollo Boilerplate 13)
40:43 SA-7 (Apollo Boilerplate 15)
42:09 SA-9 (Pegasus 1, Apollo Boilerplate 26)
44:40 SA-8 (Pegasus 2, Apollo Boilerplate 16)
46:05 SA-10 (Pegasus 3)
46:50 Program Conclusion

The footage was AI upscaled (Topaz AI) on some segments, besides the usual color correction. Ambient audio was recreated based on historical elements.
Sequences are shown in proper mission context as much as possible.

Historical narration (from post-flight presentation and mission commentary) is used in an attempt to capture the feeling of the times. Language and attitudes should be seen in that context.

Research, cleanup, editing, and processing by Retro Space HD.

============================================
The Saturn I (pronounced "Saturn 1") was a rocket designed as the United States' first medium-lift launch vehicle for up to 20,000-pound (9,100 kg) low Earth orbit payloads. The rocket's first stage was built as a cluster of propellant tanks engineered from older rocket tank designs, leading critics to jokingly refer to it as "Cluster's Last Stand".

Its development was taken over from the Advanced Research Projects Agency in 1958 by the newly-formed civilian NASA. Its design proved sound and flexible. It was successful in initiating the development of liquid hydrogen-fueled rocket propulsion, launching the Pegasus satellites, and flight verification of the Apollo command and service module launch phase aerodynamics.

Ten Saturn I rockets were flown before it was replaced by the heavy-lift derivative Saturn IB, which used a larger, higher total impulse second stage and an improved guidance and control system. It also led the way to the development of the super-heavy lift Saturn V which carried the first men to landings on the Moon in the Apollo program.

President John F. Kennedy identified the Saturn I, and the SA-5 launch in particular, as being the point where US lift capability would surpass the Soviets, after being behind since Sputnik

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom